Setting up PC Wifi network with PCI card

macdeez

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
Hello, I have a gaming pc (i54670k, gtx770, 8gb ram) and I also have a lenovo yoga 2. I have tried using the steam in home streaming but I have been facing some lags in the games, whether demanding or not. This has led me to conclude that the lags are not cpu/gpu performance related but network related. My room is far away from the router in the living room but I have an ethernet connection to my PC. Problem is my yoga 2 doesnt have an ethernet port so I'm stuck with WiFi.

To solve my problem I was thinking of purchasing a PCI wireless card and set up a network between my pc and laptop for the sole purpose of streaming games. I'm guessing that I don't need to worry about internet, just a network connection. I have a couple of questions for you guys

1. Will 5GHz wifi help me in getting better game streaming performance? Say a 5ghz card, with 5ghz on my laptop. (I know yoga 2's dont come with ac support out of the box but i can replace the wireless card)
2. I have been looking around and this model seems great.TP Link N900

Is 900Mbps too much? Can i go for something cheaper like the N600 or even lower?

3. What are your thoughts on a USB 3.0 wifi adapter like this? Netgear AC1200

Would a usb 3.0 be more suitable for my needs or is a PCI card what I need

------------------

Thanks for reading, hope you can answer my questions.

Solution
I would suggest that since you have a wired connection from the router to your PC you should buy an inexpensive router and use it as an access point in your room. You just need to attach it LAN port to LAN port to the main router via your Ethernet cable. Then your computer can plug into one of the other LNA ports and remain on a wired connection. The AP will give you a wireless radio right in your room so you should get excellent performance.

To set up a router in AP mode just turn off its DHCP, give it a static address in the network range but outside the main router DHCP assignable range, use a different radio channel (selecting from the three non-overlapping 2.4GHz channels of 1, 6, and 11), I would use a different SSID so you...

RealBeast

Titan
I would suggest that since you have a wired connection from the router to your PC you should buy an inexpensive router and use it as an access point in your room. You just need to attach it LAN port to LAN port to the main router via your Ethernet cable. Then your computer can plug into one of the other LNA ports and remain on a wired connection. The AP will give you a wireless radio right in your room so you should get excellent performance.

To set up a router in AP mode just turn off its DHCP, give it a static address in the network range but outside the main router DHCP assignable range, use a different radio channel (selecting from the three non-overlapping 2.4GHz channels of 1, 6, and 11), I would use a different SSID so you are sure to connect to the correct radio, and the security passphrase can either be the same or different -- up to you.

5GHz would not help get a better signal to your room from the main router. Higher frequency radio waves penetrate matter less than lower frequency, so 2.4GHz will do better than 5GHz for distance through walls.

An N 600 router as an AP would be more than enough, but I would not waste the money on USB AC adapters unless you plan to upgrade your network to AC, which will not fix your issue as well as another access point in your room.

Solution