[SOLVED] Setting up personal WiFi

bode2011

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I have an office which is shared with other businesses. To connect to the internet, we have the choice of the built in network or the guest WiFi.

I would like to set up my own WiFi for privacy and security, but I'm not sure which hardware I need?

I have a spare set of powerline adapters at home or would something like this Mini Wireless-n Router do the job?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H87C...olid=3P4LEEQCSJXFZ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I've no idea which settings or mode I should be in for something like this!

Thanks.

Solution
The guest network is likely actually safer if it is properly installed. It generally only allows internet access and has the feature turned on to prevent devices from talking to each other.

People likely have their own wifi network just because they want it.

How secure the network is in general is hard to say. It is not simple for one user to get into another users machine if they have properly set the firewall settings. In general almost all web traffic is now encrypted via https so even if you could capture it it does little good.

Generally the worry from say other people in a network you do not control is virus or malware from other idiots machines infecting yours. Generally you want the firewall set to public...
Not sure why you think that will increase the privacy or security when the connection on the back of the router is the same. All you did was maybe secure it between your PC and your router but it just as insecure when it comes out the back of the router.

If you are concern about things like this just use a VPN service. You data is still not technically secure since it is exposed once it leaves the VPN but it moves the problem away from the local location to some data center far away.

bode2011

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Not sure why you think that will increase the privacy or security when the connection on the back of the router is the same. ...

Thanks, so why has everyone in the building set up their own WiFi network? Why not just use the guest wifi or network? Can someone with a bit of 'know how' dial into next door's computer?

The guest network is likely actually safer if it is properly installed. It generally only allows internet access and has the feature turned on to prevent devices from talking to each other.

People likely have their own wifi network just because they want it.

How secure the network is in general is hard to say. It is not simple for one user to get into another users machine if they have properly set the firewall settings. In general almost all web traffic is now encrypted via https so even if you could capture it it does little good.

Generally the worry from say other people in a network you do not control is virus or malware from other idiots machines infecting yours. Generally you want the firewall set to public network on these types of networks. It pretty much blocks everything except web surfing and other things that pass via a browser.

Solution