Setting up plain-Jane 802.11b network & saving $$$

RLymburner

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2002
I'm upgrading my in-laws house from Intel Anypoint Network (good concept, lousy execution) to 802.11b network to take advantage of newly-acquired cable modem (thank God they upgraded from 56k). Basically single-story house with a loft, very little in the way of interference but they DO have a 2.4 g phone! (do I immediately start looking at 802.11a products?)

Q1: At a minimum - what are components required for desktop connected to cable modem, a remote desktop and a laptop? I assume wireless router (Linksys BEFSR41W) , PCMCIA card (Linksys WCF12) and wireless NIC card (Linksys WDT11/WMP11)?

Q2: Should I consider USB access point options? (eg Linksys WUSB11)

Q3: Can you recommend reliable companies other than Linksys for cheap products I can purchase on ebay?

Spazholio

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2003
A1: You assume correctly. All you need is the router/AP, a desktop wireless adapter, and a PCMCIA adapter.

A2: Go for it. I've had absolutely no problems with it, and I've used both the PCI and the USB options.

A3: Other companies would be Netgear, Belkin, basically anything in the ~$75 range at the wireless department of your local electronics store. You should give a thought to Cisco adapters. A touch pricier, but IMHO, worth the money.

To answer the other question, do NOT bother with 802.11a. I've never had any sort of problems with 2.4GHz phones and/or microwaves. 802.11a is more expensive, has less range, and just isn't worth it.