Question Setting up Robotics invention system 2.0 on windows XP

Plicker19

Reputable
Mar 22, 2019
Okay, so I'm trying to install Lego RCX programming software that has worked n other computers with windows XP. But when I try to run the installation program it shows this error message:
The InstallShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be installed.
The system cannot find the file specified.

I don' t know what to at this point and I need help. Thank you!

Review on Amazon of product:

Getting it to work on XP has been a challenge, but ultimately I was successful. I learned that there are two XP patches out there. One is available on the Lego web site, and keeps the RIS software from automatically starting everytime you boot up your machine. I needed this patch on an XP desktop system. While a bit of a nuisance, this bug isn't really a showstopper. The second patch (called LEGOTower.zip) can be received from Lego support or by searching the internet. This patch solved the much more serious problem on a laptop running XP in which it would completely lock up whenever the software tried to access the USB tower. After installing this patch, the laptop worked as well. Apparently you may need neither, one, or both of these patches depending on your particular system.

Plicker19

Reputable
Mar 22, 2019
t still pops up with the same error message.
Are there any other solutions?
oh, and BTW the computer is a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 and it had XP on it before but I reinstalled it so it could download the USB tower software without crashing.