Setting up second router away from modem

iammars

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
Alright, so I'll try the best possible to explain my current situation.

So my current router right now is a piece of trash. I live with my parents and neither of them are tech Savvy and won't let me have my way with the,wireless network that, surrounds my house. When I game I get intense lag whenever someone on the same network is watching YouTube. Terrible internet. Well I've been researching about good routers and I found the "gaming router" Netgear Blackhawk.

My current issue is this: the modem is downstairs in my two story house and there is no way I can convince my parents to drill a hole to put a LAN cable to router A to router B. And I really want to set up this second router next to my computer which is upstairs. Is there a way that I can get my second router, the netgear Blackhawk, away from the modem, and the first router, to create an easier access point and stronger WiFi overall? Please help.

Solution
If a simple YouTube video is messing up your gameplay, your problem is probably your Internet speed, not your router. The "gaming routers" have more memory for multiple connections - this solves a problem frequently encountered when simultaneously filesharing and gaming. There is nothing else particularly special about them unless you're into competition gaming (in which case you shouldn't be using wifi in the first place).

Go to http://speedtest.net and run the test, and report to us what your Internet speed is. Do that first before you start trying to set up the new router. If the problem really is your Internet speed, then you can return the quite expensive router you've bought.

You're asking for a way to connect the router...
If a simple YouTube video is messing up your gameplay, your problem is probably your Internet speed, not your router. The "gaming routers" have more memory for multiple connections - this solves a problem frequently encountered when simultaneously filesharing and gaming. There is nothing else particularly special about them unless you're into competition gaming (in which case you shouldn't be using wifi in the first place).

Go to http://speedtest.net and run the test, and report to us what your Internet speed is. Do that first before you start trying to set up the new router. If the problem really is your Internet speed, then you can return the quite expensive router you've bought.

You're asking for a way to connect the router from upstairs to downstairs. If your computer is the only device upstairs which needs this direct connection, why connect the router? Just connect the computer from upstairs to the existing router downstairs. Look into powerline ethernet adapters. Those run a (wired) network signal over the house's electrical wiring. Not as fast as ethernet, but should be plenty fast enough for your needs. No need for a new router.

Solution