Setting up Triple Monitors for Gaming with Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atte

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Hello All,
I have a Sager np8651 laptop with a GTX 970m 3 GB. I recently bought 2 extra monitors for it, so now I have a laptop screen, Monitor with HDMI, and Monitor with DVI. I've been trying to figure out how I could setup a surround system so I could utilize all three monitors in gaming, but have found no other solution than to stretch out the window in windowed mode (which literally stretches everything, so that's not the solution I'm looking for). Is it possible to set this up? I'll provide any extra information if needed. Thanks!

Solution
It's because of optimus. You can try to setup collage in the intel control panel but not sure how that would do in games when it switches.

Atte

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
I didn't mean to select best answer, asking a moderator to unselect it.

Anyway, yes I am. I tried stretching out bf4 onto all three monitors with windowed mode, and with maxed out setting with 2x AA I was still averaging 48 fps. I can just turn down some settings to get 60 fps. (I have overclocked my GPU a little bit and my laptop has a total of 3 fans, 2 on the gpu which keeps it extremely cool and overclockable).

Atte

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Thanks for the tip on Intel's collage but it's not working quite right in most games. So I guess this means I'd need a desktop to do surround? That's unfortunate. Thanks for the help though.

Atte

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
My question has been answered, but now I'm wondering WHY Nvidia would block surround on mobile graphics cards. I know for sure a GTX 970m, or GTX 980m could relatively easily handle three 1080p monitors, especially if SLI is used or the video settings turned down. It doesn't make sense to me; any thoughts?

David_115

Reputable
Oct 6, 2015
I too am struggling and trying to find an answer to this, from time to time. I do like what the op said, stretching the window across all 3 screens and I can mess with Google Earth like that, and Minecraft, but i have not yet found a way to get any other games to work. I also would be willing to sacrifice quality or whatever, just to get this to work. I have an Nvidia GT755M in my laptop with Optimus and an Intel 4series something or other. I have quite a bit of fun playing around with it when I set it up, but I need to make other games work for it to be worthwhile keeping it set up, versus just one 1080p screen. So my laptop has a 15" 1080p screen, and I have 2 Asus 21 inch 1080p screens. So, from what I found, to make stuff scale correctly, I must make sure the laptop screen resolution is 1366x768, is the center screen, and is lined up at the bottom with the other side screens (in the windows display settings). I just overlap the bezels a bit to shrink the vertical lines. The end result is really a quite impressive super screen, from a laptop. Anyhow, I look forward to any other thoughts or ideas on this topic so I hope we can someday make this work a little easier and better. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.