[SOLVED] Setting up windows 10 new build without disk drive?

chrisward371

Honorable
Sep 25, 2017
Hey,

So I'm completely upgrading my PC on Saturday. My PSU went on my old one so decided to finally make the jump to the i7-9700k and the all the things needed to run it. The only thing coming off my old PC is my 1070, for now.

It's been a quite a few years since I built my first one and Im not sure how to set up windows 10 with a disk drive. I'm going to get a key for it online but I've no idea how I would be able to install it.

If anyone can help point me in the right direction, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Solution
Thanks for the link. It would be helpful but I can't wrap my head around using the windows creation tool without a PC that's running Windows already.

Am I able to access the creation tool without an OS installed? Sorry for the dummy questions.
No, you will need a device connected to the internet that also has a browser (which will a part of an OS).
Even a friends laptop/computer.
Or you would have to buy a hard copy.

chrisward371

Honorable
Sep 25, 2017
Thanks for the link. It would be helpful but I can't wrap my head around using the windows creation tool without a PC that's running Windows already.

Am I able to access the creation tool without an OS installed? Sorry for the dummy questions.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

No, you will need a device connected to the internet that also has a browser (which will a part of an OS).
Even a friends laptop/computer.
Or you would have to buy a hard copy.

Solution

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ah, ok. Im pretty sure I can find someones PC to use. Hard copy will be no good cause I don't have a disk drive. Thanks for your help anyway
That would be better, worst case you can always get a cheap external disc drive (which is what I use for systems that require it). However to have an electronic ISO, you will need a PC and a USB of at least 8GB.

Then the detail is covered in the guide I posted :)

chrisward371

Honorable
Sep 25, 2017
Yeah the guide was just what I was looking for, thanks again. Should of searched properly.

I thought windows 10 was about 20gb or so. Is the iso file compressed or something ,or does the installation download the rest?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yeah the guide was just what I was looking for, thanks again. Should of searched properly.

I thought windows 10 was about 20gb or so. Is the iso file compressed or something ,or does the installation download the rest?
It will be compressed and install the relevant parts it needs to, then set up more after once you've connected to the internet and got the basis installed.