[SOLVED] setting up wired internet connection and wifi using an Ethernet switch

CoolGuyJones24

Commendable
May 14, 2017
First off, sorry this title is not helpful at all, I don't really know how to describe this in a sentence as networking is not my cup of tea

I just moved into my dad's house, which has an apartment attached to the garage less than 100 feet from the modem in the house. As they don't have wifi set up, my dad's solution to getting internet to the apartment was to run a very long ethernet cable from that modem through the walls into the back of the PC in this apartment. This worked fine but now he has a computer over there that needs internet, and I need wireless for my phone, Xbox, etc.

My solution was to buy an ethernet switch with one 'in' port and 4 'out' ports so that I could temporarily have wired internet to at least both of the PC's until I figured out how to set up a router. Well, I now realize that only one of these computers can be connected to the internet at a time regardless of the switch, which now seems completely pointless.

How to I keep wired internet from the modem in the main house connected to the PC over there and set up a router with wireless in this apartment?

(once again I am not a networking guy at all and my knowledge is almost none so take it easy on me)

Thank you in advance for the help,

Noah W

Solution
You are pretty much going to need 2 routers. One you use as the internet router in the main house and the second you use as a AP in the remote apartment just to provide the wifi. You can leave the wifi on in the main house or turn if off it depends on your needs.

Now you could I suppose buy a router without wireless for the main house if you do not need wifi there and then buy a actual AP in the apartment.

It likely is cheaper to buy 2 inexpensive routers.
You are pretty much going to need 2 routers. One you use as the internet router in the main house and the second you use as a AP in the remote apartment just to provide the wifi. You can leave the wifi on in the main house or turn if off it depends on your needs.

Now you could I suppose buy a router without wireless for the main house if you do not need wifi there and then buy a actual AP in the apartment.

It likely is cheaper to buy 2 inexpensive routers.

Solution
TP-Link sells both cheap routers and standalone WifiAccess points (although its purely for wifi with no Ethernet points for devices)

Otherwise you can as said above buy a cheap wired only router for in the house, and then a cheap wifi router for the apartment (be sure it can act as a access point as not all routers can)