Setting Up Wireless Network (Help Needed)

netflame

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2002
I currently have a broadband cable modem internet connection in my basement. This is where my main computer is located, I recently built a new computer in my upstairs bedroom (on the second floor, so it's two floors above the basement). I'm looking to transfer media files ranging from 10 mb's up to 700 mb's. It would be a real hassle to wire all the way from the basement up to my upstairs bedroom so I'm opting for a lower transfer speed but less hassle in setting up a wired network.

I've read up on the Linksys WSB24 Wireless Signal Booster and the Linksys's routers and was wondering what a good setup would be and if in fact the Signal Booster would in deed help out. I'm estimating that from where my computer in the basement is straight up to my room would be about 40 feet up.

Also to anyone who has set up a network like the above, are your transfer speeds tremendously slowed down from the large distance that the computers are seperated by?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I have my WAP in my basement, and on the 2nd floor a wireless connection. It works fine. I would just buy the AP and a NIC first before worrying about signal boosting. See what you think, then buy the extra stuff if needed.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

kwebb68

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2002
I assume you mean from 10 to 700 MB. Big B. Small b is used for throughput and bandwidth numbers. Big B is used for data and storage recognition. Even with the PC's both sitting right next to the AP, and the AP being of the .11g variety, transferring 700 MB files is going to take along time. If you opt for 802.11b it will be an ridiculous amount of time. If you really are going to be routinely transferring files over half a gig you might reconsider using copper. If wireless is your best option, I would definitely go .11g. Just stay with .11g equipment from the same manufacturer. Buffalo Technologies and I believe Linksys both offer guarantees that their hardware will be firmware upgradeable once the spec is ratified. Hard to say what your transfer rates will be because obstacles are handled differently based on make-up (concrete vs. wood for instance), placement (multipath), power and so forth. My guess is the booster would help you out however as mentioned, you might want to wait and see before you buy any extra equipment.

Griphus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2003
Come'on man,

If you are going to hassle someone over big B vs. little b in MB vs. Mb at least give them an explanation of why.

B stands for Byte, b stands for bit
there are 8 bits in a byte
ex. The theoretical bandwith available on a 802.11b connection is 11Mb(megabit). 11Mb = 1.37MB(roughly). (eleven megabit per second)/ 8(divided by 8 because there are 8 bits in a byte) = 1.37MBps(megabytes per second)

kwebb68

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2002
Hassle? What the hell are you talking about? Get a cup of coffee, re-read my post and I may accept your apology for being such a dumbass. Twit.

Griphus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2003
ROFL,

Heh, no need to bring out the big guns... words like "twit" will emotionally scar people causing them to do something horrible to themselves, like watch reality television. The "Hassle" I was talking about was in a jovial sense, relax. I was referring to the fact that nobody would go on a side rant about how they "assume" you meant MB instead of Mb. A normal, well adjusted person would have been able to figure out what the person was asking and just give them the answer they needed. Alas, I must leave you now though, your bone-cutting insults have forced me to seek therapy.

Awww man, I just washed this shirt and I already have spilled sarcasm on it... YEESH!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by griphus on 04/21/03 03:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>