Setting Up Wireless Network without DSL/Cable

Can you set up a wireless network WITHOUT having to have a DSL or CABLE
setup?

I have a LinkSys Router & LinkSys Access Point. Can I set up a wireless
network using these?

Thanks,

Richard

=.RLM.= wrote:

> Can you set up a wireless network WITHOUT having to have a DSL or
> CABLE setup?
>
> I have a LinkSys Router & LinkSys Access Point. Can I set up a
> wireless network using these?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard

You don't need access to the Internet to have a network. You can
certainly network your computers without it.

I attempted to run the WRT54G software & I can't get the web based
LinkSys screen to come up . . . is there a workaround?

Richard

=.RLM.= wrote:
> Can you set up a wireless network WITHOUT having to have a DSL or
> CABLE setup?
>
> I have a LinkSys Router & LinkSys Access Point. Can I set up a
> wireless network using these?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard

Of course.. I have it set up for a few notebooks, pda's, netdisks, shared
media device etc, and use it (varied on my location and whats available)
with dial-up, cellphone, ethernet to existing networks, and of course to
cable and/or dsl.

I don't recall mine being web based.. just open my browser, type in the
address http://192.168.1.1/ and then enter the password admin

Just did it again while typing this, definately not web based....

=.RLM.= wrote:
> I attempted to run the WRT54G software & I can't get the web based
> LinkSys screen to come up . . . is there a workaround?
>
> Richard
>
> Jerry Park wrote:
>
>> =.RLM.= wrote:
>>
>>> Can you set up a wireless network WITHOUT having to have a DSL or
>>> CABLE setup?
>>>
>>> I have a LinkSys Router & LinkSys Access Point. Can I set up a
>>> wireless network using these?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Richard
>>>
>> You don't need access to the Internet to have a network. You can
>> certainly network your computers without it.

Are you doing this WITHOUT being connected (DSL/Cable) to the internet?

I have tried this repeatedly WITHOUT internet access and without
exception have gotten nowhere.

With an active internet connection you WILL get a response, I proven
that on my home system.

Richard

Peter Pan wrote:

> I don't recall mine being web based.. just open my browser, type in the
> address http://192.168.1.1/ and then enter the password admin
>
> Just did it again while typing this, definately not web based....
>

> =.RLM.= wrote:
>
>>I attempted to run the WRT54G software & I can't get the web based
>>LinkSys screen to come up . . . is there a workaround?
>>
>>Richard
>>
>>Jerry Park wrote:

>>>You don't need access to the Internet to have a network. You can
>>>certainly network your computers without it.

Yes.. absolutely.. I have 5 devices here (and multiple computers) on my
workbench.. I work in a computer repair place and do tech stuff for a
living, and have all sorts of stuff on the bench for when customers come
in.. While I was typing, I moved to another system, and did it (as i
typed... (why? wasn't sure if it was 192.168.1.0 or .1, so I had to test it,
and make sure I had the right number, Dlink must be)...It is exactly the
same on both the Linksys WRT54G **AND** a Linksys WAP54G....(I have both,
(along with a few others), they are sitting on my workbench, and I just did
it again to make absolutely sure.. Hit the reset button (make sure it was
reset to out of the box specs) and checked it again.).

=.RLM.= wrote:
> Are you doing this WITHOUT being connected (DSL/Cable) to the
> internet?
> I have tried this repeatedly WITHOUT internet access and without
> exception have gotten nowhere.
>
> With an active internet connection you WILL get a response, I proven
> that on my home system.
>
> Richard
>
> Peter Pan wrote:
>
>> I don't recall mine being web based.. just open my browser, type in
>> the address http://192.168.1.1/ and then enter the password admin
>>
>> Just did it again while typing this, definately not web based....
>>

>> =.RLM.= wrote:
>>
>>> I attempted to run the WRT54G software & I can't get the web based
>>> LinkSys screen to come up . . . is there a workaround?
>>>
>>> Richard

A LAN (local area network) is separate and distinct from Internet access.
You can certainly run a LAN without Internet.
I strongly suggest that you start off connecting one computer by Ethernet
cable to the router and configure the router. If it's a Linksys, open your
browser and type in http://192.168.1.1. This is not Internet but the
configuration page within the router.
You will then get a logon box. No user name but type in admin as the
password.
Every router manufacturer uses a different IP to login (DLink is
192.168.0.1)
Then ensure that DHCP is enabled so that the router will automatically
assign internal (non routable) IP's to each computer connecting.
Then use the XP wizard to configure your network and lastly set up the
wireless part.

Don't try them all at once unless you know exactly what you're doing - too
easy to make a minor slip and not know where to move.
Crawl before you run.
For the wireless part, start off with no security (no WEP etc), create a new
SSID (don't use the default) and then try connecting with one machine at a
time.

Good luck

=.RLM.= <rlmcculley@{nospam}yahoo.com> wrote:
> Can you set up a wireless network WITHOUT having to have a DSL or CABLE
> setup?

> I have a LinkSys Router & LinkSys Access Point. Can I set up a wireless
> network using these?

Where's the client? What are you trying to connect to what?

some wireless routers need you to configure the WAN/cable side for a static
address. If you leave it at the default DHCP, they don't work weel,
spending too much time trying to get an address for the WAN side that's
never going to come.

I just took a wireless router out of the box, plugged in power, and configured
it from my wireless laptop. I wanted to configure the WEP security before
I connected it to the building network. Worked fine.

--
---

> > Can you set up a wireless network WITHOUT having to have a DSL or
CABLE
> > setup?

Yes, you can also use a dial up connection using Windows Internet
Connection Sharing if
you want to access the internet wirelessly

> > I have a LinkSys Router & LinkSys Access Point. Can I set up a
wireless
> > network using these?

What PCs do you have. The PCs need a wireless adapter (a client card).
Do you have
one of these?

Where's the client? What are you trying to connect to what?

> some wireless routers need you to configure the WAN/cable side for a
static
> address. If you leave it at the default DHCP, they don't work weel,
> spending too much time trying to get an address for the WAN side
that's
> never going to come.
>
> I just took a wireless router out of the box, plugged in power, and
configured
> it from my wireless laptop. I wanted to configure the WEP security
before
> I connected it to the building network. Worked fine.
>
> --
> ---
> Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5

What people forget is that you must have an ip address on your
conputer in order to connect. Do an ipconfig or winipconfig and see
that your getting an ip address from the router.Look at what the
default gateway is and this will be the address for the web page to
configure the router..

"Alan White" <alanwhite@hotmail.com> wrote:

>A LAN (local area network) is separate and distinct from Internet access.
>You can certainly run a LAN without Internet.
>I strongly suggest that you start off connecting one computer by Ethernet
>cable to the router and configure the router. If it's a Linksys, open your
>browser and type in http://192.168.1.1. This is not Internet but the
>configuration page within the router.
>You will then get a logon box. No user name but type in admin as the
>password.
>Every router manufacturer uses a different IP to login (DLink is
>192.168.0.1)
>Then ensure that DHCP is enabled so that the router will automatically
>assign internal (non routable) IP's to each computer connecting.
>Then use the XP wizard to configure your network and lastly set up the
>wireless part.

Richard is not to proud to say that the error was on my part.

First of all, my firewall was a problem. That was resolved.

Secondly, I had the cabling incorrectly connected from the computer to
the Ethernet port rather than in one of the four other ports. After
connecting to the right port, it worked a simply as you had said. I
really appreciate your input! It forced me to dig deeper until I was
able to reach my objective.

My apologies . . . thank you for staying with me on this and helping to
me think it through and arrive at a successful end.

Richard

Peter Pan wrote:
> Yes.. absolutely.. I have 5 devices here (and multiple computers) on my
> workbench.. I work in a computer repair place and do tech stuff for a
> living, and have all sorts of stuff on the bench for when customers come
> in.. While I was typing, I moved to another system, and did it (as i
> typed... (why? wasn't sure if it was 192.168.1.0 or .1, so I had to test it,
> and make sure I had the right number, Dlink must be)...It is exactly the
> same on both the Linksys WRT54G **AND** a Linksys WAP54G....(I have both,
> (along with a few others), they are sitting on my workbench, and I just did
> it again to make absolutely sure.. Hit the reset button (make sure it was
> reset to out of the box specs) and checked it again.).
>

> =.RLM.= wrote:
>
>>Are you doing this WITHOUT being connected (DSL/Cable) to the
>>internet?
>>I have tried this repeatedly WITHOUT internet access and without
>>exception have gotten nowhere.
>>
>>With an active internet connection you WILL get a response, I proven
>>that on my home system.
>>
>>Richard
>>
>>Peter Pan wrote:
>>

>>>I don't recall mine being web based.. just open my browser, type in
>>>the address http://192.168.1.1/ and then enter the password admin
>>>
>>>Just did it again while typing this, definately not web based....

Glad you got it working... I liked it so much at work, I have another one at
home, and I liked that so much, I put another one in my RV..
Now that you have that working, consider playing with not only the computer
networking, but adding Multimedia friendly devices.. In Vegas for the CES
Show now (and they have some really neat stuff), devices like
DVR's/Audio/Pictures-Graphics etc.. that lets things be saved off various
sources and displayed anywhere in the home (My fav is still the 71" Plasma
HDTV w/surround sound... < --- I want one of those before superbowl!), but
even if you don't dream/get crazy with new technology, it sounds like you at
least got the first step working. Congrats...

=.RLM.= wrote:
> Richard is not to proud to say that the error was on my part.
>
> First of all, my firewall was a problem. That was resolved.
>
> Secondly, I had the cabling incorrectly connected from the computer to
> the Ethernet port rather than in one of the four other ports. After
> connecting to the right port, it worked a simply as you had said. I
> really appreciate your input! It forced me to dig deeper until I was
> able to reach my objective.
>
> My apologies . . . thank you for staying with me on this and helping
> to me think it through and arrive at a successful end.
>
> Richard
>
> Peter Pan wrote:
>> Yes.. absolutely.. I have 5 devices here (and multiple computers) on
>> my workbench.. I work in a computer repair place and do tech stuff
>> for a living, and have all sorts of stuff on the bench for when
>> customers come in.. While I was typing, I moved to another system,
>> and did it (as i typed... (why? wasn't sure if it was 192.168.1.0 or
>> .1, so I had to test it, and make sure I had the right number, Dlink
>> must be)...It is exactly the same on both the Linksys WRT54G **AND**
>> a Linksys WAP54G....(I have both, (along with a few others), they
>> are sitting on my workbench, and I just did it again to make
>> absolutely sure.. Hit the reset button (make sure it was reset to
>> out of the box specs) and checked it again.). =.RLM.= wrote:
>>
>>> Are you doing this WITHOUT being connected (DSL/Cable) to the
>>> internet?
>>> I have tried this repeatedly WITHOUT internet access and without
>>> exception have gotten nowhere.
>>>
>>> With an active internet connection you WILL get a response, I proven
>>> that on my home system.
>>>
>>> Richard

=.RLM.= <rlmcculley@{nospam}yahoo.com> wrote:
> Are you doing this WITHOUT being connected (DSL/Cable) to the internet?

I certainly have, with Linksys, DLink, and SMC routers.
I always set up the router before I connect it to the network.

---

Alan White <alanwhite@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Then ensure that DHCP is enabled so that the router will automatically
> assign internal (non routable) IP's to each computer connecting.

Also, set the router's WAN IP address to some nonsense static IP, not on
your network range.
Some routers stop servicing the wireless after a while if the router is
busy hunting for a DHCP address on its WAN side.

---

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 16:14:05 -0800, in alt.internet.wireless , "Peter Pan"
<Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>I don't recall mine being web based.. just open my browser, type in the
>address http://192.168.1.1/ and then enter the password admin
>
>Just did it again while typing this, definately not web based....

Euh, that /is/ web based.

--
Mark McIntyre

Mark McIntyre wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 16:14:05 -0800, in alt.internet.wireless , "Peter
> Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't recall mine being web based.. just open my browser, type in
>> the address http://192.168.1.1/ and then enter the password admin
>>
>> Just did it again while typing this, definately not web based....
>
> Euh, that /is/ web based.

Nope idiot.. that is a browser address.. If you are not connected to the
web, it will look for local devices at that address... Amazing how it works
perfectly well without being connected at all.

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:55:34 -0600, in alt.internet.wireless , "=.RLM.="
<rlmcculley@{nospam}yahoo.com> wrote:

>Are you doing this WITHOUT being connected (DSL/Cable) to the internet?
>
>I have tried this repeatedly WITHOUT internet access and without
>exception have gotten nowhere.

then something is wrong with your router.

--
Mark McIntyre

> Mark McIntyre wrote:
>> On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 16:14:05 -0800, in alt.internet.wireless , "Peter
>> Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't recall mine being web based.. just open my browser, type in
>>> the address http://192.168.1.1/ and then enter the password admin
>>>
>>> Just did it again while typing this, definately not web based....
>>
>> Euh, that /is/ web based.
>
> Nope idiot.. that is a browser address.. If you are not connected to the
> web, it will look for local devices at that address... Amazing how it
> works perfectly well without being connected at all.

Given 192.168.*.* is not routed on the internet it can only look locally for
that address??
I think web interface is the correct term.And perhaps some ofus are
confusing terms or something. Ok, I'll go back to sleep :)

Daniel

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 00:43:26 -0000, in alt.internet.wireless , "Daniel
Bennett" <daniel@djb10.company.unitedkingdom> wrote:

>"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> Mark McIntyre wrote:

>>> Euh, that /is/ web based.
>>
>> Nope idiot.. that is a browser address..

Are you clinically dense or something? Web based doesn't mean running on
some internet server remote to your premises. It means based on web
services.

>If you are not connected to the
>> web, it will look for local devices at that address...

Whether you're connected to the internet or not, it will do so. 192.168.1.1
is a nonroutable address only accessible locally. This doesn't make it any
less web-based.

>Amazing how it
>> works perfectly well without being connected at all.

Not even remotely amazing.

>Given 192.168.*.* is not routed on the internet it can only look locally for
>that address??
>I think web interface is the correct term.And perhaps some ofus are
>confusing terms or something.

Like, peter pan has no clue what web-based means.

--
Mark McIntyre

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 11:08:33 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , NNN
<nope@none.none> wrote:

>In article <gr8vt0pqbgicmn7j1k5baaqm2fv8itnumt@4ax.com>,
>markmcintyre@spamcop.net says...
>> Like, peter pan has no clue what web-based means.
>>
>If you want a real eye opener about Peter Pan's knowledge read his
>explanation of a "patch antenna" from Google groups:

FWIW I'm not here to play yah boo. It just happened he had the wrong
understanding of what web-based meant.

--
Mark McIntyre