[SOLVED] Setting up wireless receiver and transmitter (LOS alternatives)

Gehian

Commendable
Sep 18, 2019
I want to setup a receiver and transmitter on my house and sell to my area, I understand the procedure I need to go through with an ISP, issue is they cant get a signal, i'm assuming they're using LOS .

What are other options please their transmitter is about 4-5 km out

Solution
I think before you even consider any business you learn basic stuff like what fresnel distance means and how you calculate the equipment you need.

Although some people try to use normal WiFi equipment for solutions like this they are horrible and customers hate them. The main problem is there is no control of the end stations and they will transmit at the same time causing massive interference issues. This get worse and worse the more customers you add.

You need very specialized equipment from vendors that sell equipment to WISP providers. The newest equipment uses the same LTE protocols that cell providers use but on unlicensed radio bands.

This is not something you just throw together you have to really know what you are...
Unless you have mountains you should have line of sight. You can not go that distance without towers on both ends because of a issue called fresnel zone. It is related to signals that bounce off the ground in the path and interfere. For your distance you have to be 12 meters above any obstruction in the path.

You have the same line of sight requirement to the homes you sell to. Because they are likely much closer you can likely get away with just the tower on your end.

Reactions: Gehian

Gehian

Commendable
Sep 18, 2019
Unless you have mountains you should have line of sight. You can not go that distance without towers on both ends because of a issue called fresnel zone. It is related to signals that bounce off the ground in the path and interfere. For your distance you have to be 12 meters above any obstruction in the path.

You have the same line of sight requirement to the homes you sell to. Because they are likely much closer you can likely get away with just the tower on your end.
Thank You, the obtruction is trees , is that becuase of a weak signal? if so could you suggest a strong antenna to transmit 1km out?

I think before you even consider any business you learn basic stuff like what fresnel distance means and how you calculate the equipment you need.

Although some people try to use normal WiFi equipment for solutions like this they are horrible and customers hate them. The main problem is there is no control of the end stations and they will transmit at the same time causing massive interference issues. This get worse and worse the more customers you add.

You need very specialized equipment from vendors that sell equipment to WISP providers. The newest equipment uses the same LTE protocols that cell providers use but on unlicensed radio bands.

This is not something you just throw together you have to really know what you are doing before you start or you will be losing any money you have invested in the project.

Reactions: Gehian
Solution

Gehian

Commendable
Sep 18, 2019

This is not something you just throw together you have to really know what you are doing before you start or you will be losing any money you have invested in the project.
once I have a radius is that the radius of the RF? so I should place my next transmitter outside that readius?

TRENDING THREADS