[SOLVED] Setting up XMP profile for rated RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiscuitSole176

Reputable
Aug 17, 2016
Hello guys, I know there are a bunch of these post but I was wondering if the mobo itself has to be overclocked? My board is rated for 3200 (OC) and so is my ram but its currently running at 2133. I know I have to make a profile for XMP but will this require me to OC the board aswell specially since it says 3200 (OC)? Also will the voltage and timings have to be set or can every else be left to auto? Thanks!

Solution
Since no one is really telling you how to do this, allow me to explain.

Like others said XMP is on the ram itself, but it does need to be activated. To do this, your mobo needs to support xmp. Not all boards do (namely ddr3 supporting as most ddr4 boards I have interacted with have had an ability to activate xmp). Ram have two speeds, a base jedec speed (2133 or 2666 depending) and then a rated speed. This rated speed is garuanteed to work either by manual overclocking the speed and timings as well as the voltage, or just by simply doing the one click xmp method.

HOWEVER - you do NEED to get your latest chipset drivers from both your processor's site AND your motherboard's site. Why? I ain't got no clue but it does help with...

Heoir

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Since no one is really telling you how to do this, allow me to explain.

Like others said XMP is on the ram itself, but it does need to be activated. To do this, your mobo needs to support xmp. Not all boards do (namely ddr3 supporting as most ddr4 boards I have interacted with have had an ability to activate xmp). Ram have two speeds, a base jedec speed (2133 or 2666 depending) and then a rated speed. This rated speed is garuanteed to work either by manual overclocking the speed and timings as well as the voltage, or just by simply doing the one click xmp method.

HOWEVER - you do NEED to get your latest chipset drivers from both your processor's site AND your motherboard's site. Why? I ain't got no clue but it does help with stability. I had an issue with my r9 3900x and x570 board not being stable in prime95 (memory causing restarts during max load) and found out I forgot to download the x570 chipset driver as well as the am4 driver. If you have intel you'll have to download all of it from your respective manufacturers.

For msi boards, you hammer the delete button to get into bios upon turning the pc on. Refer to your mobo manual for how to enter your manufacturer's bios. In there you should see some buttons and one of them should be XMP. Just need to click that after you've ensured you have the latest drivers. I'd also recommend getting the latest bios version for your board as that, generally but not always, helps with stability of xmp profiles.

--------

Answering your questions about voltage and timings: The xmp profile is literally a 'one click overclock', so to speak, when referencing the jedec speeds. It sets the actual frequency, timings, ram and whatyoumacallits all by itself, pretty nifty! You do, however, have the option of not clicking xmp and doing everything manually. Some boards have a 'memory try-it' feature where it has several memory profiles stored that may or may not work and are not guaranteed to do so nor promised to be stable, but nice if you're just getting into overclocking and want to see some options. The third and final option you have is to put everything on manual. This is vastly more complicated than one click, though relatively easy. There are plenty of guides here on the forums as well as other forum sites of and relating to computers, I won't steal their thunder and a quick google will bring some good guides up. Again, xmp is the way I'd recommend.

Please go to your ram manufacturer's website and ensure that ram is compatible with your board, you can also look at QVL for your board. QVL means Qualified Vendor List. Not sure of where you'd be able to find it as MSI has taken theirs down or hidden it nicely so no one can find it, but I know QVL lists have existed before. If your ram is not on QVL or doesn't say it is compatible with your board, then xmp is not guaranteed to work and I'd advise to return it and pick a new kit that is compatible. i.e. 'compatible with z270, z370, x470, b450'. I have an x570, and it isn't compatible so getting xmp to work might not go so well and would either need manual voltage changes from listed profiles or speed/timings to decrease.

----------

If you'd like help from us a few specifics we'd like to know are:

What processor do you have?
What mobo do you have? i.e. make and model - example would be msi z270 gaming pro carbon
What sticks of ram do you have? Specifically what is the model number, it would be something like this: F4-3200C16D-16GTZRX

Reactions: BiscuitSole176
Solution

Sithtiger

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Hello guys, I know there are a bunch of these post but I was wondering if the mobo itself has to be overclocked? My board is rated for 3200 (OC) and so is my ram but its currently running at 2133. I know I have to make a profile for XMP but will this require me to OC the board aswell specially since it says 3200 (OC)? Also will the voltage and timings have to be set or can every else be left to auto? Thanks!

Back in the old days of overclocking, when all the CPU multipliers were locked ( or if you bought a locked CPU) you had to O/C the Front Side Bus or FSB, but if you buy an Intel K CPU or AMD X CPU, you just have to set the CPU frequency or raise the boost clock. There are so many options. The short answer is no for the CPU.

For memory, the FSB on the mobo had to be O/C'd, but if you have XMP 2 memory, no, it should automatically find it. If it doesn't, you'll have to enter it manually but you don't have to O/C or change anything else regarding the memory if it can detect it. If you want to O/C the memory more, then yeah, you'd need to do that manually, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you know what you're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.