[SOLVED] Settings for i7-4770K 4Ghz OC

pilotsh

Distinguished
May 1, 2014
Hello, after having an i7-4770K for many years, finally deciding to bump my performance a little to extend PC time and so I can finally use the 'K' for what I bought it for.

From what I understand, disabling Turbo-boost and pegging 4.0Ghz is generally possible. I have an ASUS Maximus Hero VII Mobo, and a CoolerMaster V8 GTS cooler.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has Overclocked like this just to give me some idea of what voltage I should select and which BIOS power saving features to turn off.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
My CPU was just running at the minimum boost of 8 (800Hz), but once I loaded Unigine 4 windowed mode with coretemp and CPU-Z next to it I can see it load up to 3.9Ghz, core Voltage is 1.112V and running it for 10 minutes has the hottest core hit 65C. So I might start with 1.2V and 4.2 then run Prime 95
You been posting this a good bit.
They made 2 different versions of that cooler the original then a updated version that had better cooling by like 6C. Not sure if they added more heat pipes or better fans.

What are you using the PC for Gaming? if so set the multiplier to 44, voltage to 1.22 Then run OCCT if your temps 80C or lower your fine for gaming.

If your OC fails at that voltage then go to 1.24 and run OCCT again...

pilotsh

Distinguished
May 1, 2014
My CPU was just running at the minimum boost of 8 (800Hz), but once I loaded Unigine 4 windowed mode with coretemp and CPU-Z next to it I can see it load up to 3.9Ghz, core Voltage is 1.112V and running it for 10 minutes has the hottest core hit 65C. So I might start with 1.2V and 4.2 then run Prime 95

pilotsh

Distinguished
May 1, 2014
Actually before I started OCing, I started stock with turbo boost and I ran a prime small test and immediately my Core0 was a max of 89C. I don't think it is safe to over clock until I get a different cpu fan.

CPU Z showed 3.9Ghz and 1.181V

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
You been posting this a good bit.
They made 2 different versions of that cooler the original then a updated version that had better cooling by like 6C. Not sure if they added more heat pipes or better fans.

What are you using the PC for Gaming? if so set the multiplier to 44, voltage to 1.22 Then run OCCT if your temps 80C or lower your fine for gaming.

If your OC fails at that voltage then go to 1.24 and run OCCT again.

Their nothing to change or adjust with OCCT just click the green on button!

Intel never releases the max safe temp of their processors for 24/7 use they simply put in for the CPU to downclock at 100C but I would personally try not to go over 85C OCCT will end the test when a core hits 85C

Just so you know a stress test and if your gaming the max temp will be higher during the test.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotsh
Solution

pilotsh

Distinguished
May 1, 2014
Thanks for the recent info. After spending almost 4 days looking at coolers I had come to a similar conclusion.

If I go to the trouble of repasting (the cooler is beast of size and I may need to remove the mobo from my case), I was considering maxing out my motherboard with the i7-4790K. This is the highest CPU my Asus Maximus Hero vii can support. Would it be worth it? I could then sell my i7-4770K as never overclocked, as I haven't started yet. A used i7-4790K is about $350AUD (about $244USD), and I might be able to get $150 AUD for my 4770K, worth the switch while I repaste do you think?

And a bonus question if anyone knows, what GPU would be around the CPU bottle neck for the 4770K/4790K?
I enjoy gaming, and mostly word and excel, but I also use Video editing software (ACDSee video studio). I would say 40% work, 40% gaming, 20% video editing. My monitor is 144Hz/1080p, so I would like to be able to get max sliders at 120 FPS at 120Hz first person adventure games like Thief, Batman, Tomb Raider and Splinter cell, that sort of thing.

Getting to the point where I am tweaking my system to eek out a few more years before a total new build. About to setup GTX780-DC2OC in SLI (already own two of them, never got around to SLIing until now), but was considering a GTX1660 Super (MSI Gaming with LEDs), or maybe just saving up for the best card a i7-4770K/4790K would use, or maybe higher so I can move the graphics card to a new build in the future.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the recent info. After spending almost 4 days looking at coolers I had come to a similar conclusion.

If I go to the trouble of repasting (the cooler is beast of size and I may need to remove the mobo from my case), I was considering maxing out my motherboard with the i7-4790K. This is the highest CPU my Asus Maximus Hero vii can support. Would it be worth it? I could then sell my i7-4770K as never overclocked, as I haven't started yet. A used i7-4790K is about $350AUD (about $244USD), and I might be able to get $150 AUD for my 4770K, worth the switch while I repaste do you think?

And a bonus question if anyone knows, what GPU would be around the CPU bottle neck for the 4770K/4790K?
I enjoy gaming, and mostly word and excel, but I also use Video editing software (ACDSee video studio). I would say 40% work, 40% gaming, 20% video editing. My monitor is 144Hz/1080p, so I would like to be able to get max sliders at 120 FPS at 120Hz first person adventure games like Thief, Batman, Tomb Raider and Splinter cell, that sort of thing.

Getting to the point where I am tweaking my system to eek out a few more years before a total new build. About to setup GTX780-DC2OC in SLI (already own two of them, never got around to SLIing until now), but was considering a GTX1660 Super (MSI Gaming with LEDs), or maybe just saving up for the best card a i7-4770K/4790K would use, or maybe higher so I can move the graphics card to a new build in the future.
The 4770K and 4790K are really the same processor it was just a refresh with a bit better heat transfer.

200 AUD doesn't seem worth it to me for the negligible performance improvement between the 4770K and 4790K. At that price (for a sunk cost component on a 6+ year old platform) you're starting to get well into the required budget for a better performing current-gen CP+mobo+RAM.