Settings in XP not being retained

I have a problem...after setting up XP on my laptop it will not retain the
settings for any hardware or any external devices. Whenever I attach the
device windows goes thru the setup routine. The CD Rom will not work until I
restart the machine and then it will work until I change out the cd which at
that time I will have to restart to get it to work again. Whenever I attach
for example my webcam it will go thru the install routine and stay installed
until the computer is restarted.

Go to Start/Run, and type DEVMGMT.MSC , highlight the USB Hub devices, Action menu, "Uninstall", then restart Windows, to find the
device drivers again automatically.

USB Hub Power Management - disable : Start/run, type DEVMGMT.MSC , then rightclick each USB Hub device, Properties, uncheck the box
on the Power Management tab.

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509