[SOLVED] Settle for 3070 or Wait Longer?

rockncountry

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
I have been needing a GPU for a while. I haven't had a decent upgrade in over 5 years. (Currently I have a 1070.) I was able to get an Xbox Series X and purchased it ONLY because I thought it would be a long while before I could get my hands on a new card. Just last week I was able to order a 3070. I really wanted a 3080. I'd like to be able to game in 1440p. I don't mind the extra $200 but it's gonna be a long time before they are available. So, I can sell my X to pay for the 3070, keep both (which would be redundant) or just keep the X and wait. Ray tracing is very important as well and looking at the numbers the 3070 struggles. I'm just thinking about which way to go and would like opinions. Thanks!

Solution
3070 would be a nice bump over your 1070.
Probably what you need for 1440P.
What is your cpu?
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
3070 would be a nice bump over your 1070.
Probably what you need for 1440P.
What is your cpu?
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Reactions: tecmo34
Solution

rockncountry

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
What I'm wondering is if the 3070 is good enough or should I hold off and wait for something that would be better. I bought the x simply because I didn't anticipate being able to get a GPU for another year but I'll never been content without PC gaming. However, I had my heart set on 3080 even though I'll only be gaming at 1440p.

Although I have a 3080 for 1440p gaming the reality is in gpu heavy games dropping a few settings from ultra to high would most likely give the same FPS. In less gpu heavy games the difference doesn’t matter. As for Ray Tracing I don’t see the point, the visual difference is very slight at it’s just not worth the hit to FPS. I have not found a single game where I have left it on.

Reactions: Lacsative
Nov 15, 2021
RTX 3070 is enough for 1440p, and 3080 is so much more expensive. Go with the 3070 or used 2080ti. Raytracing is not much faster with the 3080 anyway, and RT is still a very little eye candy in almost every game (CP2077 will not turn great with it).

Right now I'm running an i7 6700k with a 500gb SSD and 16 GB of RAM.

You would get bottlenecking with that CPU on many games, but it really depends what you play. On some GPU demanding games that CPU would still be ahead of 3070.

rockncountry

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
RTX 3070 is enough for 1440p, and 3080 is so much more expensive. Go with the 3070 or used 2080ti. Raytracing is not much faster with the 3080 anyway, and RT is still a very little eye candy in almost every game (CP2077 will not turn great with it).

You would get bottlenecking with that CPU on many games, but it really depends what you play. On some GPU demanding games that CPU would still be ahead of 3070.
I figured as much. So it's gonna start adding up. I should probably just wait out this ridiculous shortage and hope it improves. I've got both consoles and a Switch. I just really am a PC gamer at heart.

Reactions: Lacsative

TRENDING THREADS