[SOLVED] Setup advice?

Jul 8, 2020
I have hp omen 15 it came with the intel h10 512gb + 32gb optane it runs fast both on startup and regular use. After installing a few games that I own I am about half way full already. Can I buy a 1TB NVME SSD like the Samsung EVO Plus, and make that my default game drive. Will this also help games load/ run faster?

Solution
Ohh ok good to know . So i don't have make the Samsung my os drive . I can leave os on the intel and use Samsung as game storage.
Yes, that is a good way forward.

For Steam games....
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder
Jul 8, 2020
OK then...add another NVMe drive. 970 EVO Plus is a good choice.
It won't be any faster or slower that the H10 you currently have. Just more space.
so the sequential read/write speeds 2,300/ 1,800 of the h10 and the 3,500/3,300 of the evo dont make game loading/running differences?

USAFRet

Titan
so the sequential read/write speeds 2,300/ 1,800 of the h10 and the 3,500/3,300 of the evo dont make game loading/running differences?
Not so you'd notice in a game situation.

The difference in the Sequential read/write is only noticeable when moving large blocks of data, back and forth to another equivalent drive.
Level loading in games will be the same. And FPS in the game, not influenced at all.

USAFRet

Titan
Ohh ok good to know . So i don't have make the Samsung my os drive . I can leave os on the intel and use Samsung as game storage.

For Steam games....
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

Solution
Jul 8, 2020

For Steam games....
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder
Thank you so much this was extremely helpful. Guess I am going thru with my purchase. I appreciate the knowledge... last question since your saying i wont notice the speed difference ... I was between the1tb samsung evo plus @ 179.99 and the 1tb wd black @149.99. the laptop has good cooling but the reason i wanted to go for samsung was because of the dynamic thermal guard and the wd will be with out heat sink. I wouldnt mind saving some money but i am willing to if its worth it

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS