Setup BDC

jw

Hi

During I setup NT 4.0 as BDC, it need to install network card but it always
to ask the OEMSETUP.inf file, I put it into A drive, it cannot success to
install it. The floppy disk can read by another workstation.

How to install network card ??

Thanks
Jimmy

I am afraid you cannot. Practically all new adapters and new machines are
requiring certain servicepack level to allow installing of NIC driver and
cannot be installed during setup. This is not problem with workstation or
standalone servers, but it is real pain with DCs, because you need
functional network card during DC setup. Search your NIC documentation about
required servicepack level (but be aware that this also depends on
motheboard design - even old NICs need at least SP3 if used in new
motheboard).

What you can try if it is your problem:
1) Try to use different network adapter card - older is better. If you are
able to setup BDC with any different NIC, you can apply servicepack and add
driver for your main network adapter and remove older one.
2) Install your server as standalone without NIC setup, apply SP and add NIC
driver and use Upromote third party tool to promote standalone server to BDC
(this is unsupported by MS and this sort of tool is not for free, it is like
for $100 for single server licence).
3) Install base (minimal setup, only with NIC and primary disk controller)
of your BDC on hardware as similar as possible to target machine and do
migration after installation of required service pack. After succesful
migration continue with setup on new hardware. This procedure is also
unsupported by MS, it is less comfortable as use of upromote and requires
some compatible hardware. But it is for free. You can use also far different
hardware, but in such case migration process will be much harder. If you are
able to use your target primary disk in temporary machine and both machines
are using the same hal driver, whole migration work will reduce to move disk
and temporary NIC from source machine to target one, eventually with
replacing of disk driver.

luck

George

"Jw" <jwhk3@hotmail.com> pí¹e v diskusním pøíspìvku
> Hi
>
> During I setup NT 4.0 as BDC, it need to install network card but it
always
> to ask the OEMSETUP.inf file, I put it into A drive, it cannot success to
> install it. The floppy disk can read by another workstation.
>
> How to install network card ??
>
> Thanks
> Jimmy

Jimmy