[SOLVED] Setup guest network

Jan 29, 2021
Hello. I run a guest house and would like my guests to sign in with email [address] & land [on] our website, when they log on. Does anybody know how to do this? Thank you in advance?

Solution
You won't be able to do this with normal home grade network equipment. I've never seen this on home routers.

You can do this with Ubiquiti wifi access points(not too expensive small business grade equipment) and a PC running ubiquiti's Unifi software, or a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro router running Unifi Software or a cheap raspberry pi running unifi software.

Here's the guide on what it looks like: https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articl...Guest-Network-Guest-Portal-and-Hotspot-System

You can set up a captive portal, where they have to click accept to proceed, or use a universal hotel password, or facebook wifi where they have to log into their facebook credentials, or you can do a voucher system.

Here's...
Jan 29, 2021
Hi there,

Kind of... But I am thinking more like the solutions they have in most airports and public spaces. You connect to the wifi, gets redirected to a website where you have login via email and then you're online. Do you know of any such solutions?

Ralston18

Titan
Airports and public spaces may not be an applicable choice or comparison. For the most part you do not really login and I would be very leery of any wireless network that asked for my email as a means to "log in".

More likely the solution you need is something more like a hotel where as a guest the hotel provides you with a link (URL), login, and password to join the hotel's network and thus gain internet access. And sometimes that was the only available option.

There are a couple of regular Forum members who watch this category who are (or have) worked in hotel environments or other similar settings.

Overall, the implementation should be straightforward - security/privacy likely of most concern.

Hopefully there will be some additional comments and suggestions.

Jan 29, 2021
Thanks so much for the reply. The link idea sounds good. I would need to find out about the security though.

It would be great to hear from them. Am I in the right section to speak to them?

You won't be able to do this with normal home grade network equipment. I've never seen this on home routers.

You can do this with Ubiquiti wifi access points(not too expensive small business grade equipment) and a PC running ubiquiti's Unifi software, or a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro router running Unifi Software or a cheap raspberry pi running unifi software.

Here's the guide on what it looks like: https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articl...Guest-Network-Guest-Portal-and-Hotspot-System

You can set up a captive portal, where they have to click accept to proceed, or use a universal hotel password, or facebook wifi where they have to log into their facebook credentials, or you can do a voucher system.

Here's what the facebook login looks like: https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articl...-Using-Facebook-Wi-Fi-for-Guest-Authorization

Most low volume businesses might be best off with using guest vouchers. You can set a time limit for when it expires and print out the voucher or email it to them. Once they're gone, they no longer have access to the wifi.

Ubiquiti's Unifi software assumes you have some networking knowledge, if you know a tech guru or have a tech savvy teen, they might be able to set it all up for you. After that's done, they can create a desktop shortcut to the voucher page so you can make and print new vouchers easily.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Guest network as @gggplaya says is a feature only supported on the base router WIFI for "home" network hardware. If you want "guest" isolation with remote WIFI or any wired capabilities, then you have to move up to small commercial hardware. Like the Ubiquiti hardware mentioned above. I would think that a remove guest house would have to have more than "home" hardware to support what you want.