Setup my system for reading russina charctaers ??

Dear all,

How can I set up my W2k pro US version inorder to be able to read and write russian text ?

I have set my regionnal settings to russian in order to install system fonts, then system reboots and I add Input local to russian also for keyboard.

It seams to work as I am administrator, but when I switch to a normal basic user, all regionnla settings are reset to US ...

Any idea why ? do I have to install Multilanguage pack ?

regards
serge

Hello!

serge calderara <sergecalderara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<1DEDDA25-FC31-44AF-A275-7D8DF5CE942B@microsoft.com>...
> Dear all,
>
> How can I set up my W2k pro US version inorder to be able to read and
> write russian text ?
>
> I have set my regionnal settings to russian in order to install
> system fonts, then system reboots and I add Input local to russian also
> for keyboard.
>
> It seams to work as I am administrator, but when I switch to a normal basic
> user, all regionnla settings are reset to US ...
>
> Any idea why ? do I have to install Multilanguage pack ?

Unlike Windows 95/98/ME, there is no Multilanguage pack needed for
Russian under Windows NT/2000/XP.

But - I guess I tested that a year ago - if you added Russian keyboard
layout while lgged in as Admin, then it should be available for _any_
user, even one logged in as a guest.

You do NOT need to have Regional Settings (locale) to be set to Russian -
one can read/write Russian after the steps you did even on Japanese
Windows 2000 :)

So a non-Admin user just opens say Word 2000 document, then
switches keyboard to Russian input mode - Alt+RightShift -
now "RU" is on the right part of Taskbar - and one can type in Russian.

If you don't know 'by heart' where Russian letters are located, you
may want to use so called phonetic (homophonic) layout, where
Russian 'A' is obtained by pressing 'A', 'O'-'O', 'T'-'T',...

Please see "Russian Keyboard" section of my site for more details
on the subject.

--
Regards,
Paul Gorodyansky