Setup not detecting HDD

Densun

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm trying to reinstall W2K, but it's not detecting my hard drive because it's ATA-100. I've had this problem before, but I thought I fixed it by supplying it with the drivers at the beginning. I tried this again, but this time it didn't work. Do I need to use a ATA-66 IDE cable?

---
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Battlefield/1189" target="_new">Byte Size Games</A>

sathni

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2002
i have suffered with a similar problem for the past 1 year...

we upgraded our computers last year, and since we "build" our own boxes, I encountered the same problem over-and-over again...

in the end, i have isolated the problem to the hard drive IDE cable....

when i use a ATA 100 cable, the problem arises intermittently... when I use an old ATA 33 cable, I NEVER have the problem.... so, I think it has something to do the the M/B and ATA 100 cable combination...

in the end, it just got too furtrating, and so we now only use ATA 33 cables, except on the server, where we have an ATA 100 cable....

if anyone finds a better explanation for this strange problem, I would love to learn about it as well....

thx -

G

It should still detect the drive, it just won't run at ATA100 on a 40pin cable. Have you checked your BIOS settings?