Setup W2K on SCSI drive

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

What am I doing wrong? I am trying to install W2K on a
new SCSI drive that is not yet formatted. What is the
proper way to do this?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

You'll want to boot the Windows 2000 setup disks or CD-Rom. The set of four
install disks can be created from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the
\bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or
makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

Then *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your system)
in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to specify
additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer
supplied Windows 2000 driver for your scsi controller in drive "A"

If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions
found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again
restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid unexpected drive
letter assignments with your new install.


--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


"Lois" wrote:
| What am I doing wrong? I am trying to install W2K on a
| new SCSI drive that is not yet formatted. What is the
| proper way to do this?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I have followed your directions explicitly and it
continues to tell me there is no drive to install 2000
on. What else can I do?
>-----Original Message-----
>You'll want to boot the Windows 2000 setup disks or CD-
Rom. The set of four
>install disks can be created from your Windows 2000 CD-
Rom; change to the
>\bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
makeboot.exe (from dos) or
>makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.
>
>Then *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
inspecting your system)
>in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and
select S to specify
>additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
insert the manufacturer
>supplied Windows 2000 driver for your scsi controller in
drive "A"
>
>If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers,
then it may be too
>late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already
assigned the
>resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.
>
>When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and
or other partitions
>found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the
install, then again
>restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid
unexpected drive
>letter assignments with your new install.
>
>
>--
>Regards,
>
>Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in
newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>
>"Lois" wrote:
>| What am I doing wrong? I am trying to install W2K on a
>| new SCSI drive that is not yet formatted. What is the
>| proper way to do this?
>
>
>.
>
 

GeoffW

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2004
50
0
18,630
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

what is the adapter that you are using ? most adaptec are
picked up automatically some require the drivers to be
loaded as the win2K cd is booting / setting up the system
does your system only have scsi drive(s) or is there an IDE
drive as well ? if there is an ide drive the system will
probably recognise it as the primary drive. Remove it and
set your biosi up to boot from scsi,

Is you adapter bootable ? configure the adapter to boot from
the scsi ID selected for the drive

good luck

Geoff

"Lois" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:2e5f001c46ab9$6624d380$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> What am I doing wrong? I am trying to install W2K on a
> new SCSI drive that is not yet formatted. What is the
> proper way to do this?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

What drive controller?

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


"Lois" wrote:
|I have followed your directions explicitly and it
| continues to tell me there is no drive to install 2000
| on. What else can I do?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY