Seven Finally Jailed After Teen Sold Kidney for iPad 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wlachan

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
That's what happens when too much technology was given to a poorly educated population. The mainland China has been so badly polluted due to their lack of knowledge and decency, their off-springs will pay the price for generations to come.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
First of all, he was 17 - IMO old enough to know you need a kidney. Second, he found the guys on his own as it seems. Walked to the surgeon on his own. Decided to sell the kidney on his own and did what he wanted with the money. Nobody kidnapped him and robbed his kidney, it was all a thought decision.

While I agree that illegal organ traders should be jailed for a lifetime, I find it ridiculous to pay the teenager $224k. With the massive poverty you find in China, expect to see thousands of people selling their organs for that cash.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
This is similar to a story before.....also in China.

Anyway, the $224K is good to scare similar offenders because the court money is enough incentive for ordinary people to sell their kidney and at the same time making sure they will be caught.

[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom]First of all, he was 17 - IMO old enough to know you need a kidney. Second, he found the guys on his own as it seems. Walked to the surgeon on his own. Decided to sell the kidney on his own and did what he wanted with the money. Nobody kidnapped him and robbed his kidney, it was all a thought decision.While I agree that illegal organ traders should be jailed for a lifetime, I find it ridiculous to pay the teenager $224k. With the massive poverty you find in China, expect to see thousands of people selling their organs for that cash.[/citation]

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
just me here, but my number for selling a kidney of mine is 250k, and the accompanying medical complicatons being handled at cost to them

a lung is 750k
and my liver is another 750k

really for me, 250k is about 5 years if not more of pay for me
considering that life expecany is about the same with one or without (just need to make better life choices) i dont see this as a bad deal

same with lung, ad as i dont drink, i wont be taxing my liver much at all, and in total could get my whole life payed for if i make smart choices, and if invest in the right areas, i could easily make more money, something that living paycheck to paycheck cant allow.

fuzznarf

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Just to play Devil's advocate, if he had 'donated' his kidney in a first world country the hospital makes money on the transplant, the doctors and staff get paid, the recipient gets a kidney and the person 'donating' it gets nothing. But somehow this is considered noble when the person giving the kidney isn't compensated. With that said, the compensation was pathetic. Had he given it away for free, would it have been better? Or if a minor had given it to a friend or family member that's ok too?

kristi_metal

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
We know most of the chinese are poor, so why would you sell a kidney for an Ipad? If he had sold it for food money, i would have understood, but for an Ipad and an Iphone?

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"This payment in return helped reduce their time in jail." I wonder how much it would have cost them to buy out all of the jail time...

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
How blessed many of us are to be able to afford a pc, latest phones, designer clothes / shoes. And to have the ability to get online, read this and talk crap about a kid who isn't as privileged as we all obviously are.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]"This payment in return helped reduce their time in jail." I wonder how much it would have cost them to buy out all of the jail time...[/citation]

Maybe enough to buy a new kidney.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
[citation][nom]unoriginal1[/nom]How blessed many of us are to be able to afford a pc, latest phones, designer clothes / shoes. And to have the ability to get online, read this and talk crap about a kid who isn't as privileged as we all obviously are.[/citation]

The teenager found the dealers online. He likely has the ability to read this very comment section just like us.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Maybe the mother is right. The kid sold his kidney to help out the family then panicked with having so much cash in hand that he purchased an iPad to get rid of it. Sounds stupid but we tend to do stupid stuff when panicking. Remember this is just a kid and thinks he knows better.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Fair enough.. He can get online. In a lot of countries there are internet cafe's. Your missing the point of my comment.
You don't just "sell" your kidney for no reason... The kid has to be crazy poor. Especially for the price of an ipad or iphone.

fuzznarf

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
[citation][nom]unoriginal1[/nom]Fair enough.. He can get online. In a lot of countries there are internet cafe's. Your missing the point of my comment.You don't just "sell" your kidney for no reason... The kid has to be crazy poor. Especially for the price of an ipad or iphone.[/citation]
He can't be that poor if he thought that an iPad was worth more than food.

Alex Ukr

Honorable
May 4, 2013
My name is Alex, I am from Ukraine, I am 33 years old man. I don't smoke cigarettes and don't drink alcohol. My blood is O+ and I have a good health. If you need kidney or liver transplant, I am ready to give one of my kidneys or part of my liver, but I want to receive a big compensation for that.
alexukrua@mail.ru

Status
Not open for further replies.