Seven Injured in Explosion At Intel's Arizona Plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
ja ja ! what kind of fire from mexico ?, rocks ? I'm from méxico and the goverment of here must be detroyed doesnt USA own our land that would be great LOL

Mario75

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
[citation][nom]HighPies[/nom]Its because they where sent a BD chip from AMD and couldn't handle that much power xDhttp://sites.amd.com/us/promo/proc [...] essor.aspx[/citation]

power?what power?from amd cpu's?oh..you talking about amd cpu's TDP..yep,i guess you right,since amd cpu's ages behind Intel's..well,at least Intel knows that BOBdozzer wont reach even 4ghz on air,since they simply burning xD
and Intels 4core still beat crap of amd 8core - amd cpu's must be burning from shame xD
Quality (Intel) over quantity (amd) any day.Oh,and dont forget about amd promises and delays LOL And amd still talking,delayed 4 times..and i see 5th coming,what can you expect from such "company" like amd? xD

TheMaristBoy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
[citation][nom]Mario75[/nom]power?what power?from amd cpu's?oh..you talking about amd cpu's TDP..yep,i guess you right,since amd cpu's ages behind Intel's..well,at least Intel knows that BOBdozzer wont reach even 4ghz on air,since they simply burning xDand Intels 4core still beat crap of amd 8core - amd cpu's must be burning from shame xDQuality (Intel) over quantity (amd) any day.Oh,and dont forget about amd promises and delays LOL And amd still talking,delayed 4 times..and i see 5th coming,what can you expect from such "company" like amd? xD[/citation]

you're right. but state it more gently next time.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]Mario75[/nom]power?what power?from amd cpu's?oh..you talking about amd cpu's TDP..yep,i guess you right,since amd cpu's ages behind Intel's..well,at least Intel knows that BOBdozzer wont reach even 4ghz on air,since they simply burning xDand Intels 4core still beat crap of amd 8core - amd cpu's must be burning from shame xDQuality (Intel) over quantity (amd) any day.Oh,and dont forget about amd promises and delays LOL And amd still talking,delayed 4 times..and i see 5th coming,what can you expect from such "company" like amd? xD[/citation]
Even if that is all true, I don't see how this is good for you as a consumer!
Even if I go for the best processor, or for the suggested performance/price by Tom's for prices above 150$, I still will cheer for the underdog, because I will not get that processor and leave for a foreign planet. I will still be here when time to upgrade comes.

pooflinger1

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
[citation][nom]bv90andy[/nom]That's all I wanted to hear But seriously, why do these things still happen in companies who have such a reputation for factories with high-end technology?[/citation]

According to the article, the explosion happened at a part of the plant that was currently under construction. And no matter how high end the technology is, failure is, and always will be an option. Nothing can run forever. It all has to break at some point.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]bv90andy[/nom]That's all I wanted to hear But seriously, why do these things still happen in companies who have such a reputation for factories with high-end technology?[/citation]
there is always room for human error...after all, we control the machine...i am sure it won't be for much longer

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
My IQ dropped trying to read this...

hajila

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I've helped build up semi-conductor plants in Japan, China, Singapore, and San Jose, Ca. They have isopropyl alcohol, liquid nitrogen, acids, and hundred of other things that can ruin your day around every corner. I saw more injuries in those places than I have at my current job at a nuke plant.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
I can't fathom why the article would have "spokesman" and then "spokesperson" in the the same article. Choose one. Gender specific, or gender neutral. Sorry, it just annoys me.

ithurtswhenipee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I used to work at Cypress Semiconductor in MN. Nothing that has an abundance of flammable fumes in that fab. There are these wipes that are used in the fab. If they were to get soaked with sulfuric acid - which is common in a semiconductor fabrication - they could spontaneously combust. Some of the etching machines will have multiple containers with different solvents in each. Don't know how wise it is to have petroleum based solvents in there.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009

Because the only thing that is certain with any implemented safeguard system is failure. At some point the system WILL fail. What really matters is the fall back procedure for when it fails. How do you retrieve and secure personnel safely and in a timely manner?

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Intel uses many, many dangerous materials in the process of making wafers. There are a lot of acids like hydrofluoric, nitric, sulfuric, and hydrochloric. Gasses of chlorine and fluorine base - by the time you can smell them it's already too late. There are furnaces that cook the chips for over 1000 degrees centigrade for 12+ hours at a time. There are implanters with kiloamp circuits hooked to them that would vaporize you instantly if you put your hand in the wrong spot.

It's a fun job.

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I like how all these articles use the word EXPLOSION. Some chemicals that should not be combined or spillage resulting in a fire does not equal an explosion... Was there a compression wave? Didn't think so.

HighPies

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
[citation][nom]TheMaristBoy[/nom]you're right. but state it more gently next time.[/citation]

I fail to understand how you can not see the humor. It was a joke which a Intel FanBoy has taken to far (as usual). Btw as long as my athlon can pump out as much FPS in games that a Intel 2500k can and make my Windows experience smooth, you may go ahead and Rave about Intel superiority when you pay arm and leg to experience what i do on dirt cheap cpu's (gaming and Windows running smooth). I dont need a big e-peen or the need to brag to my friends that i got a expensive and good cpu :/.

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
[citation][nom]assmar[/nom]Accidents happen, just happy no one was hurt.[/citation]
*happy no one was seriously injured or killed.

G

That Flagstaff Arizona ad is hilarious. The only thing people do in Arizona is set fire to things lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.