[SOLVED] several beginner questions on RGB lighting

mrjayviper

Reputable
Mar 13, 2017
so I bought a Thermaltake Level 20 GT case over the weekend and I've been bitten by the RGB bug. I'm a long time home PC builder (around 25 years) and I have always been intrigued (and wanted to try) with PC lighting.
The case comes with:
  • 2x Thermaltake Riing+ 20cm fans which uses connector uses Thermaltake's proprietary 9pin connector
  • 2x Thermaltake Pure 20 ARGB which uses normal fan header and ARGB/DRGB LED connectors
  • 1x Thermaltake Riing+ 14cm which uses connector uses Thermaltake's proprietary 9pin connector
  • I also just bought a 5pack Thermaltake Riing+14cm from an online retailer. This also uses the 9pin connector.
Some questions
  1. What's the advantages of ARGB/DRGB vs Thermaltakes proprietary solution? I believe Thermaltake and other makers produces their own proprietary solutions which are imcompatible to each other. I don't really care app mobile apps or Alexa/Google solutions.
  2. With ARGB/DRGB, is it possible to change colors via the reset button?
  3. Looking at various discussions and Youtube videos, it seems to me that the 9pin Thermaltake connector can be modded (or rehoused) to use the normal 4pin fan and ARGB/DRGB connectors. correct?
  4. Any other info/recommendations you would like to share?
Thanks!

Solution
i believe the case's LED control button will only work on fans that are directly connected to it's LED hub.

to match fans connected to the LED hub with those directly connected to your motherboard
you need to run the "LED out" cable from the hub to a motherboard aRGB header.
then you would be able to create a custom RGB profile with your motherboard control software.
What's the advantages of ARGB/DRGB vs Thermaltakes proprietary solution?
modern motherboards and RGB hubs use either 3-pin RGB or 4-pin aRGB headers\cables.
Thermaltake's proprietary hardware does not.
i believe the case's LED control button will only work on fans that are directly connected to it's LED hub.

to match fans connected to the LED hub with those directly connected to your motherboard
you need to run the "LED out" cable from the hub to a motherboard aRGB header.
then you would be able to create a custom RGB profile with your motherboard control software.
What's the advantages of ARGB/DRGB vs Thermaltakes proprietary solution?
modern motherboards and RGB hubs use either 3-pin RGB or 4-pin aRGB headers\cables.
Thermaltake's proprietary hardware does not.

Solution

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Maybe same here build for long time and never try rgb until recently. Not the expert here but seems there always comprimises with the different control solutions. But maybe you can find one that works good enough for your need. Have the Lian Li case here and it has the button to change the rgb but it very limited. Asus mobo has the auro but it also limited an not happy with it. In end went to the corsair commander pro as solution. Expensive solution but rgb fans expensive too so not the many choices. It takes awhile to go thru the rgb solutions. Hope you find the less expensive one :)

Asus mobo has the auro but it also limited an not happy with it.
using Armoury Crate & Aura Creator together gives many options for compatible aRGB devices.
8 built-in effects that can be combined and layered across all devices,
plus the ability to create your own effects with whatever color(s) you decide.

the biggest problem we face now is detection and compatibility across devices by different manufacturers.
if you're really dedicated to RGB effects on your components,
it's usually better to stick with the same manufacturer or to do extensive research about what other manufacturer's products do offer true compatibility.

Corsair's iCUE software has become one of the best at detecting other manufacturer's products and offering some kind of control but many still complain about some detected devices not operating correctly.

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Thinking maybe this my problem not knowing anything about rgb had to just jump in. Wishing I could have been able to use aura and saved the money. For now I have aura control the mobo and icue control everything else. Liking how it turns out but haven't really tried much as far as the customizing and I should try. Very glad with how pc turned oout but if I know all costs ahead of time I dont think I would do it again :p