Several instant computer freezes with same set of Event IDs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xitaah

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
So at first I thought Hearthstone was the problem (hence another thread on this forum).

Now I've been having crashes without me playing Hearthstone, which tells me, that the problem is somewhere else.

I'm constantly experiencing instant freezes on my computer, where I have to hard reset it to get back on track.

I'm getting the same set of ID's in the Event Viewer.

Here's a screenshot of it: http://imgur.com/hG8fHL4

Any idea to what I can do?

P.S. English is not my native language, so please do tell me if I need to explain something better in order for you to understand and help me.

Solution
Haha if you still get freezes after upgrading all this, move to mexico or something and make sure your computer is good and warm. ;)

Replacing the motherboard/cpu changes your entire PC. It won't freeze any longer. :)

Just make sure you reinstall windows after changing your components, or else you will have driver compatibility issues. :)

xitaah

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015

12+ hours of small ffts (I totally forgot about my machine) and no crashes. Never went above 38C

Vice93

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
So we know it's probably not the CPU/PSU/RAM at this point. Taking a new look at the picture you took of HWmonitor, the 12+ rail show 14V, could you boot into bios and see what the value is now that you have a new PSU?

Post a picture if possible, both of BIOS and HWmonitor in Windows when it freezes. :)

xitaah

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015

In HWMonitor my +12V is still 13.992V after my new PSU. But I've read, that you shouldn't rely too much on voltage counts in programs like this?

I will however deliver what you requested asap. BIOS I can do in a min or two, the crash I don't know when will happen :)

xitaah

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015

op75RWQ

http://imgur.com/op75RWQ
Still no crash though.

Vice93

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
That is fine then, you don't need to post any hwmonitor picture when it freezes, no issues with voltages.
You're right, programs often report the wrong info. You can trust BIOS though. ;)

Have you ever updated the BIOS, or changed any settings? Or is it still running the default settings?

If not please go here and download the utility "Live Update 6". It should automatically update the BIOS firmware.

Do some more testing after installing this and see if you still get freezes. :)

xitaah

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015

I did update it some time ago, and just checked Live Update 6 - no BIOS updates.

We're down to the issue being the motherboard and/or the GPU now, right?

Vice93

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
The motherboard in that case.

If the GPU crashes, it shuts off, then restarts with the error "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered.

Troubleshooting so far:
New PSU, reinstalled windows, no cpu hangs on prime95, no overheating, no voltage problems, no BIOS updates, no RAM errors...

You can run "chkdsk" in cmd to rule out any problems with your HDD as well.

xitaah

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015

I have 0 in bad sectors on all my drives.

I'm really happy you're helping me out here. This is a long and frustrating process :)

Vice93

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
I guess you can try to reset your motherboard before you go through the process of buying a new one, not that I believe it will work, but it's worth a shot.

Do you know how to reset it? If not here is a guide on how to reset CMOS.
This won't return it to default BIOS firmware, only resets all settings.

If the old PSU was faulty it might've damaged the motherboard beyond repair.

xitaah

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015

The problem is, that we really don't know, if the PSU is faulty or not. I just decided to keep the new one since it's of much better quality (and in the long run it saves me some money) :)

As far as I'm concerned, it's necessary to swap the motherboard, as this is the only possible problem left? If I'm going to do that (I probably am) I might as well get a newer and better PSU. Is Intel still top notch here? (gaming - Batman Arkham Knight).

Vice93

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
If you're buying a new motherboard/cpu combo for gaming I'd go with intel. An i5 is just fine. :)

If you're going to keep your old CPU you have to get an AM3 mobo.

Do you have a budget? Because I doubt theres any fault with your current CPU so a new AM3 mobo should be just fine if you're low on money.

If you're going to set up a rig for the new Batman game, your CPU is fine for minimum, though your GPU won't run it, in which case you should focus on a getting a new MOBO + GPU.

I'm running an FX cpu and I have no troubles, though when I upgrade in the future I'll probably get an Intel cpu for stability purposes.

It all depends on your budget. Give me a number and purpose and I'll help you get components. :)

PS: it will make you feel better. ;)

Edit: nvm your CPU ain't FX.

xitaah

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015

When I'm going to upgrade, I want to be able to play Batman at high graphics minimum (ultra preferably, but not if that forces me to buy GTX 980).

Honestly: the lower the budget, the better, as I don't have any money right now - But I will in some way find the necessary funds, if need be.

I've been looking a bit myself, and this is what I came up with:

Asus H97-PLUS
i5 - 4590 (I'm not gonna clock)
GTX 970 (dunno what company, but probably the MSI Gaming or Asus)

That totals ~710€ - which in my situation is a lot of money.

To sum it up: The cheapest setup, that allows me to play Batman fluently at 60fps at high graphics :)

Btw: I live in Denmark, so prices are higher in the US. But if you find some components, I'll find the danish prices myself :)

Vice93

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
To push it to the absolute maximum you'd probably need a 980, but I think a 970 will be more than enough to get 60fps@1080p at mostly ultra settings.

Yeah you can go for that combo you listed, the cpu is great for the price and is more enough.
It gets a bit pricey tho, in danish prices it's around 5.5k (~850$) on komplett.dk - I'm from Norway ;)

If you'd want to go for a bit more budget setup you'd probably go the AMD way, still keeping the GTX970, saving about 100$.

Here are two setups that will run it at high/ultra (depending on the port)

i5 combo:
GTX-970 - 2989,- DKK
i5-4590 - 1649,- DKK
ASUS Z97-A - 1149,- DKK (costs a little more, but is better in the long run)

=5787DKK or 864$

AMD combo:
GTX-970 - 2989,- DKK
AMD FX-8350 - 1345,- DKK
MSI 970 GAMING - 794,- DKK

=5128DKK or 765$

Both will perform about the same. :)

PS: I chose components that are available for purchase.

xitaah

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015

Thanks. In the unimaginable scenario, where I still get freezes after MB, CPU and GFX change, what is my next step?

Is there any other option as of now, than the MB being faulty?

Vice93

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
Haha if you still get freezes after upgrading all this, move to mexico or something and make sure your computer is good and warm. ;)

Replacing the motherboard/cpu changes your entire PC. It won't freeze any longer. :)

Just make sure you reinstall windows after changing your components, or else you will have driver compatibility issues. :)

Solution

xitaah

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015

I sure hope you're right. I'm by no means a guru in hardware. But I do have some basic knowledge, and I've never experienced anything like this shit.

Guess it's time for new hardware (about ½ a year sooner than planned).

I'm really greatful you took so much time writing back and forth with me.

Just to clarify. When you say MSI 970, is it this: https://www.komplett.dk/msi-geforce-gtx-970-gaming-4gb/824861 ?

Vice93

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014

Yes get that one or this one: https://www.komplett.dk/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-970-4gb-g1-gaming/825299

The G1 can be overclocked a bit further, but the MSI is more quiet under load, ranked #1 & #2 on various forums. - Your choice. :)

EDIT: when I say MSI 970 I mean the AMD mobo: https://www.komplett.dk/msi-970-gaming-socket-am3/819931 guess its made for the gtx... haha

xitaah

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015

I'm fairly sure I'll go down the Intel road.

Stupid question: Why is the z97 better than the H97-PLUS?

xitaah

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
I just ordered:

AsRock H97 Pro4
MSI Twin FrozR GTX 970
i5 4590
And some cheap thermal grease

I'm gonna fucking scream if I keep getting crashes!

Will keep you updated no matter the result! :)

xitaah

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015

Houston! We're alive!

No freezes whatsoever. I am however experiencing some Windows 10 problems (search button not working), but as far as I can see, I'm far from the only one :)

Thanks buddy. 4 months in computer-hell is over!