Question Several problems after upgrading CPU and adding GPU

oddjobbers000

Reputable
Dec 10, 2018
I have an Athlon 220ge, 8gb ram, MSI a320m-a pro max, GIGABYTE P550B 550W psu. Bios version 7C52v26; Chipset version 3.10.22.706. And I bought a Ryzen 5 3600 and galax gtx 1660 super. PC case Deepcool Matrexx 30, 1 intake 1 exhaust.

Problem 1 (CPU Temperature Spikes) - I upgraded the cpu and I noticed that the temps are going wild from 45°-68° with wraith stealth cooler (I put a good amount of thermal paste and screwed the cooler properly) I even removed the side panel and it is still the same.) Only running HWinfo.

Problem 2 (Black Screen No Post) - I tried putting back the old cpu (because of problem 1) and all I got is a black screen (hdmi on gpu; fans are spinning cooler, case, gpu) and no lights on hdd led indicators on pc case. I also removed the gpu (hdmi on mobo) still same black screen.

Problem 3 (GPU Drivers) - I watched some youtube videos while searching for solution to my problems and they say that I should first uninstall(using DDU) the old graphic drivers before installing the new one. Can I uninstall the amd drivers while using my gtx 1660 super? or should I make the old cpu work and then uninstall it?

Correct. Reinstall the 3600. Use ddu to remove the amd gpu drivers. Go to amd.com and download the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard. The head over to nvidia.com and grab the latest gpu drivers for your card direct from them and install.

The cpu temps are ok but I’m not a fan of the wraith stealth. If you want you could pick up a cooler like the deepcool gammax 400.

https://www.newegg.com/deepcool-ag4...&ranSiteID=kXQk6.ivFEQ-7gx0XXgZebQEW5bYB2rBlQ

Reactions: oddjobbers000

oddjobbers000

Reputable
Dec 10, 2018
Correct. Reinstall the 3600. Use ddu to remove the amd gpu drivers. Go to amd.com and download the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard. The head over to nvidia.com and grab the latest gpu drivers for your card direct from them and install.

The cpu temps are ok but I’m not a fan of the wraith stealth. If you want you could pick up a cooler like the deepcool gammax 400.

https://www.newegg.com/deepcool-ag4...&ranSiteID=kXQk6.ivFEQ-7gx0XXgZebQEW5bYB2rBlQ
I'll try that thanks!
I'm also trying to see how does an athlon220ge w/ 1660super how can I make that to work? Will clearing the cmos battery fix it(saw a couple of videos on how to fix integrated graphics with no display)?