Question Several questions fixing a pc.

Urahara-shoten

Honorable
Mar 6, 2017
So I was given a pc and I am upgrading it, it's an MSI b75a-g43 motherboard. I have installed some stock fans and plan on changing the heatsink because it has a heatsink with no fan attached to it. There is a four pin fan connected to the case and plugged into the CPU fan port Should I change this? The room gets very hot. I am not sure if the computer was overclocked so I reset it to default via clickbios2. I intend on upgrading to quality fans in the near future. What I need help with is how can I make the fans quieter? They keep getting louder then quiet. I tried adjusting the fan setting in the bios and I am still having issues where it makes out the fan speed. I'm trying to make this build as quiet as possible. If I do much as open a browser the fan speeds max out. I've updated the drivers and I am unsure what else to do. I installed a gtx 1050ti in the build but it also has a hd7770 in it, I removed the hd7770 and it does not want to go past POST until that gpu is reinstalled. Also could someone tell me if the fans smaller than 120 mm fans are notoriously louder it seems to be something I noticed. Any help is deeply appreciated.

Thank you

----
Specs

Msi b75a-g43 gaming ATX Motherboard
Asus phoenix Gtx 1050ti 4gb
Amd Radeon hd7770 2 gb
Tp link wifi card
i5 3570 k
24 gb ddr3 ram
620 watt seasonic psu
3 fans total including one attached to CPU fan socket. Only one 120 mm the rest are smaller.
Cougar mx330 gaming PC case

plan on changing the heatsink because it has a heatsink with no fan...
There is a four pin fan connected to the case and plugged into the CPU fan port Should I change this?
your new cooler will need to use this CPU_FAN header.
intend on upgrading to quality fans in the near future. What I need help with is how can I make the fans quieter?
the way this system is setup now sounds like it doesn't have enough airflow throughout the case
and using this stock cooler is just making it worse.
the warm air will be recycling around the system and getting hotter and hotter so the fans will remain at high speeds.
and with your description i would imagine they're crap fans to begin with so won't move much air plus will be loud.

look into some be quiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM fans.
and you will want at very least 2x 120mm(preferably 140mm) front intakes pulling in cooler outside air + 1x rear exhaust pushing out the warmed air.
though i would aim for 3x front intakes, 1x rear exhaust, 1x top-rear exhaust. this way you can lower the fan's RPMs quite a bit and still have good airflow with lower noise.
Asus phoenix Gtx 1050ti 4gb
Amd Radeon hd7770 2 gb

removed the hd7770 and it does not want to go past POST until that gpu is reinstalled
the system crashes during POST screen, does not power on, or you are just getting a "no signal" message on the screen while the system's fans and lights continue to run?

i would boot with the HD7770, remove all graphics related data by running DDU in Safe Mode, then shutdown and remove the Radeon card.
then try reinstalling the GTX 1050 Ti alone and starting up again.

and make sure you have all of the latest drivers available for this motherboard directly from the manufacturer's product support page.
could someone tell me if the fans smaller than 120 mm fans are notoriously louder it seems to be something I noticed
i've dealt with a lot of 80mm fans where anything over 60% was obnoxious.
they usually seem to emit a scratching and/or whining sound along with regular loud fan noise.
and they cannot move much air or provide much air pressure so they are almost worthless as case fans.

their only real usage should be for directly blowing onto VRMs, drives, or some other small area that needs a bit of extra help getting air.

Urahara-shoten

Honorable
Mar 6, 2017
Thank you for responding. I will remove my smaller fans and buy 120 mm fans soon. Just bought some arctic silver for my new heatsink going to apply/ install tomorrow.

The hd7770 when removed and the PC turned on results with the post freezing when trying to enter bios. Clicking the bios key I hear the error sound ticking repeatedly. For as long as I hold it, it continuously ticks.

I've updated all drivers for the motherboard, and updated the bios to the latest version.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost

Urahara-shoten

Honorable
Mar 6, 2017
Yes the gtx 1050 ti works in other builds I had. I got the gtx 1050 ti to work in the second pcix16 slot on the motherboard but when I place it in the first pci x16 slot that occupies the hd7770 it doesn't display anything on the screen. The fan moves, but no display. This occurs in particular if the hd 7770 is not installed on the motherboard.

The weird thing is that the hd7770 works in the first pci x 16 slot. Also, when I change my settings or get an update. My pc upon restart wants to use the hd7770 as default display. If I plug in an HDMI cable only into the gtx 1050ti upon boot it does not want to load in this particular build, any other build it is fine. If there's an HDMI only in the hd7770 upon boot it loads up fine in this particular build.

Last edited:
I got the gtx 1050 ti to work in the second pcix16 slot
you shouldn't have any use for this Radeon card being installed at all.
if the GTX works in a PCIe x16 slot just use it there and forget about the Radeon.

whether this ancient motherboard has some sort of damage to it's first PCIe slot that the Radeon somehow bypasses or not i'd say just be happy that it still functions after 15 years or so.