[SOLVED] Several sound issues after new build

Aug 25, 2020
Hi all. Although I'm not that great with computers, I think I've managed to build my first one without too many problems, but the one that just is beyond my level of understanding is several sound issues I'm having.

At the moment, I only have a headset that can play sound, as I've been on laptops for about 13 years and didn't think to order speakers until I had everything already built.

Problem 1: And maybe not a problem, but the PC now only recognizes the headset as "speakers." I'm not sure if that makes much of a difference, but when I first got the OS up and running, it was recognizing it as headphones. After removing and re-installing/updating the sound drivers (and after a fresh reset), it still only recognizes them as speakers.

2. The sound quality is just "off." It's hard to describe what's going on. The quality is overall quite bad, but it almost sounds like in a car where if you mess with the bass/treble/etc enough, you get a whole mess of things. If I play the most recent Batman trailer for example, I can barely hear anyone talking (or the person singing in the trailer song), but I can hear most other things OK.

3. If I play a game, the sound in the "middle" or front of me barely exists. I tested this out with two games. With League of Legends, any action that happens in the middle of my screen barely registers a sound. If that action happens to the left side, I hear it far, far louder in my left ear (and vice versa on right side).

4. The volume bar no longer works. Whether it's at 1% or 100%, it always makes the same level of sound. If it goes to 0% it will mute. Otherwise, I can only control it through a little volume wheel on my headset. I did not have this issue after my first install, but subsequent driver removals/installs/clean resets still results in this issue persisting.

5. If I go into Realtek Audio Manager and switch the "Main Volume" balance to either the far left or far right, then the sound for music/videos is PERFECT. However, if I go into a game, then all of that sound is pushed mostly into whichever side the slider is at (L or R).

Before doing a full reset, I was also having significant issues getting Realtek Audio Manager to even open. Double-clicking it did nothing. I believe I got it working after removing the existing version and installing an older one.

Would this full run of issues be likely tied to simple driver issues? Or could this be tied to an issue with the motherboard? I don't even have AUX-cabled headphones to try and test another audio piece out with, although my headset has never had issues connecting to my other laptops.

Appreciate any help!

Solution
The front port might be faulty indeed. However you might want to double check your HD audio cable that connect the front ports to the motherboard to see if it's properly plugged. Sometime the cable may be just long enough to reach the MoBo but need to be knid of stretched and the connection can be suboptimal...

tokum13

Commendable
Jun 11, 2020
I have somewhat similar issues, but mine is with my microphone and video camera not working. Out of curoristy do you have any issues with these? and also what about your windows install? Are you using multiple drives, like an HDD and SSD? My current theory is that there are conflicting drives on my computer build because I did an amateur and shotty job of reinstalling windows and believe I now have to reformat my drives. Curious if you also messed around with windows installations on a different drive.

Aug 25, 2020
I have somewhat similar issues, but mine is with my microphone and video camera not working. Out of curoristy do you have any issues with these? and also what about your windows install? Are you using multiple drives, like an HDD and SSD? My current theory is that there are conflicting drives on my computer build because I did an amateur and shotty job of reinstalling windows and believe I now have to reformat my drives. Curious if you also messed around with windows installations on a different drive.

I've only got an SSD in there at the moment. All components are also new, so I wasn't overwriting anything on the drive at all. I haven't tried the mic yet, but I have my splitter buried in a box somewhere. I also don't have a cam to test that out, sorry!

Perhaps realizing I should try that headset with the splitter actually, as it works on my laptop with just one plug. I wouldn't think that would have an effect on the sound up/down slider, but maybe I'm wrong.

tokum13

Commendable
Jun 11, 2020
I've only got an SSD in there at the moment. All components are also new, so I wasn't overwriting anything on the drive at all. I haven't tried the mic yet, but I have my splitter buried in a box somewhere. I also don't have a cam to test that out, sorry!

Perhaps realizing I should try that headset with the splitter actually, as it works on my laptop with just one plug. I wouldn't think that would have an effect on the sound up/down slider, but maybe I'm wrong.
Hmm yeah I think that is beyond me then. It sounds like your problem is separate than mine unfortunately.

Aug 25, 2020
Out of curiosity, did you plug you headset in the front jack or in the one at the back of the computer? Might worth trying the other one to see if the problem persists...

Wow, after switching to the back (I was using the front), I'm not experiencing the problem at all now, thanks! So does that mean the front panel jack is faulty or do some headphones/sets just need their splitters or something?

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
The front port might be faulty indeed. However you might want to double check your HD audio cable that connect the front ports to the motherboard to see if it's properly plugged. Sometime the cable may be just long enough to reach the MoBo but need to be knid of stretched and the connection can be suboptimal...

Solution