[SOLVED] SEVERE BOTTLENECK - 1080 ti & i7 2600

Sep 7, 2020
I am very VERY new to building PCs and I think I have run into a major problem. I was out and about looking for a better gpu when suddenly my friend sells me his 1080 ti for about 300. I was thrilled! When I hooked it up I saw minimal performance boost from my 1050 ti. When I started up a game I looked at task manager and saw my cpu was at 100% while my gpu was at 20%. I have been told a couple people that I need to upgrade my motherboard and my cpu- is this true? What should I do? I dont have a large budget.

Any suggestions and tips would be appreciated! Thank you so much

GPU : 1080 ti
CPU : i7 - 2600

wait hold up i have the wrong cpu dont reply yet (nevermind its that one)

Last edited:
Solution
Okay I think I understand that. So if I want a better performance with what I have right now I have to priotities settings that are GPU heavy rather than CPU heavy. My computer also can't display more frames than what it is right now since the cpu is now setting an upperbound.

I also get terrible lag spikes that bring my frames to about 70 sometimes. Its not very common but it happens enough to be annoying. Any tips on that?
Exactly.

You may find that the lag spikes are not actually lag spikes, but are slowdowns to the amount of times the cpu can render the frames. Hitting 100% usage means there's no resources left, so any additional usage just slows things down.

It's like 2 artists making a picture. 1st artist (cpu) draws...

ben001

Distinguished
Hi, :)
Along with your CPU, you will also need a matched chipset motherboard along with DDR4 memory. Any range of budget?. Let us know if we could help you to make a proper investment ahead.

Also, what resolution you will be using?.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's 2 kinds of fps. There's the amount of frames a cpu can pre-render in 1 second, that's governed by the strength of your cpu, it's speeds, the game code etc and there's the fps you see onscreen which is governed by resolution and graphical detail levels and the strength of the gpu.

If the cpu can only output 60fps in a game, that's the limit. You can put a RTX2080ti with it, and get maximim detail levels but you cannot exceed 60fps. Prior, your 1050ti was struggling to get the full 60fps from the cpu put on screen, now with the 1080ti it isn't. The only things that'll change is now the cpu is free to output its maximim, and the gpu is strong enough to meet the challenge.

There's only 1 'fix'. Stronger cpu that can output higher fps. Your i7-2600 is quite old and has less ability than the gpu.

Also, don't use presets like Ultra. That also includes lighting affects and other physX and similar api's, which affects the cpu. Instead, maximize graphical settings and minimize cpu bound settings in game. If the cpu doesn't have to pre-render the zit on dudes nose, you'd be fine not seeing it, and the cpu doesn't have to add work to get it done.

Sep 7, 2020
Hi, :)
Along with your CPU, you will also need a matched chipset motherboard along with DDR4 memory. Any range of budget?. Let us know if we could help you to make a proper investment ahead.

Also, what resolution you will be using?.

I would say I have about 200 or 300 MAX of left over cash that I could use to upgrade. Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Sep 7, 2020
There's 2 kinds of fps. There's the amount of frames a cpu can pre-render in 1 second, that's governed by the strength of your cpu, it's speeds, the game code etc and there's the fps you see onscreen which is governed by resolution and graphical detail levels and the strength of the gpu.

If the cpu can only output 60fps in a game, that's the limit. You can put a RTX2080ti with it, and get maximim detail levels but you cannot exceed 60fps. Prior, your 1050ti was struggling to get the full 60fps from the cpu put on screen, now with the 1080ti it isn't. The only things that'll change is now the cpu is free to output its maximim, and the gpu is strong enough to meet the challenge.

There's only 1 'fix'. Stronger cpu that can output higher fps. Your i7-2600 is quite old and has less ability than the gpu.

Also, don't use presets like Ultra. That also includes lighting affects and other physX and similar api's, which affects the cpu. Instead, maximize graphical settings and minimize cpu bound settings in game. If the cpu doesn't have to pre-render the zit on dudes nose, you'd be fine not seeing it, and the cpu doesn't have to add work to get it done.

Okay I think I understand that. So if I want a better performance with what I have right now I have to priotities settings that are GPU heavy rather than CPU heavy. My computer also can't display more frames than what it is right now since the cpu is now setting an upperbound.

I also get terrible lag spikes that bring my frames to about 70 sometimes. Its not very common but it happens enough to be annoying. Any tips on that?

If you have an SSD for your OS, you full reinstall, and can rule out driver/game config fiascos remaining as the result of an older card...

Certainly, you should be able to then run games 1080P high/ultra at same FPS as the old card at low/medium...minimum FPS might not skyrocket with a 7-8 year/several generations ago quad core however, depending on the game...

Sep 7, 2020
If you have an SSD for your OS, you full reinstall, and can rule out driver/game config fiascos remaining as the result of an older card...

Certainly, you should be able to then run games 1080P high/ultra at same FPS as the old card at low/medium...minimum FPS might not skyrocket with a 7-8 year/several generations ago quad core however, depending on the game...

So if i do want a perfomane increase I need to get a new CPU

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

Exactly.

You may find that the lag spikes are not actually lag spikes, but are slowdowns to the amount of times the cpu can render the frames. Hitting 100% usage means there's no resources left, so any additional usage just slows things down.

It's like 2 artists making a picture. 1st artist (cpu) draws everything in pencil, a rough sketch, puts in place every object etc, hands it off to the 2nd artist (gpu) who then adds all the colors and shading and shadows etc. If the first artist is sketching a bunch of hills, that's easy, he can do many sketches in a second. Change that up to a city scene with lots of buildings and details and people, and it's going to take longer per sketch. If he's working as fast as he can, and all of a sudden he has to add a bunch of cars too, the sketch count nose-dives. That's your lag spikes.

Solution
Sep 7, 2020
Exactly.

It's like 2 artists making a picture. 1st artist (cpu) draws everything in pencil, a rough sketch, puts in place every object etc, hands it off to the 2nd artist (gpu) who then adds all the colors and shading and shadows etc. If the first artist is sketching a bunch of hills, that's easy, he can do many sketches in a second. Change that up to a city scene with lots of buildings and details and people, and it's going to take longer per sketch. If he's working as fast as he can, and all of a sudden he has to add a bunch of cars too, the sketch count nose-dives. That's your lag spikes.
This makes perfect sense thank you!

Sep 7, 2020
Exactly.

Would you recomend any upgrades?