Question Severe Package Loss + download speed keeps breaking down

Re-Patch

Reputable
Jun 17, 2019
Dear everyone

I have a problem with my pc that is starting to drive me nuts.
It's hard to describe what is happening... but I'll try:

I moved into my new appartment about 3 months ago. I got a new provider as well. The line is a copper one (500down / 100up).
Ever since I've moved in, I'm having severe internet issues. It started (for the first 2 months) with my download speed always breaking down (usually it started to slow down within the first 3 hours of using the computer every evening, mostly when starting to game). The speed I got from speedtest (dot net) was anywhere between 0.5 and 50 and the weird thing, the upload (almost always, not always) was 110-120.

Now before I started to trouble shoot my machine - I of course contacted the ISP.
They checked it a dozen times and had 3 different technicians coming to my home already. They keep saying that on their side it is fine, they can see that the line never ever dropped below 500ish/100ish before. That meassurement was from their severs to my router. So they are saying that the speed up until the router never dropped below 500 before. That made me realize it must be my pc. Next thing I did - I deactivated the onboard network card, bought a new one and tested with that one. Tiny improvement, (usually stays around 20-40mb down, not as low as 0.5 - 5 like before), but still faar from okay. Next thing I did - did a speedtest simultanieously on another notebook and on my pc (both connected via LAN KAT6 to my router). While the PC is getting down speeds between 20 and 150 - the notebook gets the full/normal 550-580. That means it definitely looks like something on my pc is not okay. What is super weird is, it's not happening all the time. Example from yesterday evening:

19:00 - Starting up pc, full speed @speedtest - 520/111
19:20 - Browsing Inet, still full speed - speedtest - 511/113
19:50 - Started playing PUBG
20:20 - Internet breaks (huge package loss 30% in PUBG all of a sudden) - speedtest - 25/80
20:20 - Internet still broken, still in PUBG - speedtest - 30/90
-----
23:00 - Stop playing, still similar results (low speed)
23:05 - shutdown pc
01:30 - Start up PC again, speedtest - 530/129 (all great)
01:50 - Start playing PUBG
03:50 - No more issues since 01:50, full speed all the time, no package loss @pubg

Here's what else I did so far:

• I tracked outgoing connections with Zonealarm, couldn't find anything weird.
  • Virussoftware ESET is up to date, PC should be clean.
  • Took away the overclocking of CPU and GPU
  • Updated/Deinstalled/Reinstalled all drivers (network card)
  • CMOS reset
  • Put in a new CMOS battery
  • Ordered a new PSU (not here yet)
  • Ordered same router again from ISP
  • Switched between IPV4 and IPV6
  • Replaced every LAN cable
  • Tried every port
  • New network card

What I didn't do so far (because it takes a lot of time and/or money):

• Replace Motherboard
  • Reinstall Windows 10

- Provide us with the make and model of your router/modem
https://www.google.com/search?q=int...3onjAhUL5aYKHUBmBUQQ_AUIECgB&biw=1439&bih=672

- Provide us with the exact specifications of your PC (if applicable) including:
- Make and model of motherboard:
MSI Z270 GAMING Pro Carbon, Intel Z270, 4x DDR4
- Make and model of power supply

COUGAR GX800 v3 800W ATX 2.31 80+ Gold, modular
- Operating system and driver version

Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit, everything updated
- You will also need to post your ISP and connection type*.
Swisscom AG / Internet L (inOne Home) / RJ45 Kat6 wired
- You will also need to post the exact number of devices connected to your router (this includes tablets, smart phones, laptops, and desktop PCs) as some routers can only handle a specific number of devices at a time.
not relevant, disconnected everything else several times and deactivated wlan

Been working in IT for 11 years, but that's a first for me...
I thank you already for your help! Do YOU have any ideas to help me? Or would just as well as a next step reinstall Windows and see if it helps?

cheers & thx, Patch

Re-Patch

Reputable
Jun 17, 2019
Sorry, more details:

CPU:
INTEL Core i7-7700K, Quad-Core: "Kaby Lake" @4.8 (now back to original speed since cmos reset)
Cooling:
ENERMAX Liqmax II 120, WAKÜ
RAM:
G.Skill RipJaws V rot DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-2400
GPU:
PALIT GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Super JetStream, 11GB
GDDR5X, DVI,
Storage:
3x SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 500GB SATAIII
2x SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 1TB SATAIII

Thanks for your help! If you guys need more details, don't hesitate to ask. cheers

Trying live booting ubuntu from usb and testing a speed test. this can rule out anything inside windows.

Since it seems like it's changing when you open a game it might be client side QoS. intel gaming lan may be doing something. that stuff is garbage. I'd disable it.

Re-Patch

Reputable
Jun 17, 2019
Trying live booting ubuntu from usb and testing a speed test. this can rule out anything inside windows.

Since it seems like it's changing when you open a game it might be client side QoS. intel gaming lan may be doing something. that stuff is garbage. I'd disable it.

Thanks for the tipps. I will try dual boot (with a fresh windows) I think this week, already prepared a stick for it. Should be just the same right?

Sorry but what do you mean with "intel gaming lan"?
Is this the lan-socket/port (RJ45) that comes on the motherboard with the MSI Z 270?

Well I already tried with a new pci-e network card, same results.

I'll post an update once I know more.
Any more ideas?

cheers