[SOLVED] Severe Ping Spike Issues

KalebHarris

Reputable
May 10, 2016
Hello! I have been having major issues with lag spikes in certain applications on my WiFi and I have ran some tests and believe there is an issue somewhere in my network, but I cannot pinpoint what. When running a ping test to google.com I get a ping spike every couple of packets. I have ran a tracert test to google.com as well but do not know exactly how to read it and interpret it, but there is obviously a large issue on line 4 (I'd assume, but could be wrong). I have pasted it below. If there is anyone who knows what the issue may be or could help me troubleshoot that would be much appreciated. I have a LinkSys WRT 3200ACM router with a 5GHz band hooked up to my ATT provided Modem/Router with the router function turned off on the ATT device.

Tracing route to google.com
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 2 ms 7 ms
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 42 ms 34 ms 42 ms
4 1014 ms 896 ms 642 ms
5 28 ms 27 ms 28 ms
6 29 ms 27 ms 29 ms
7 28 ms 28 ms 27 ms
8 34 ms 31 ms 31 ms
9 29 ms 30 ms 28 ms
10 29 ms 28 ms 27 ms
11 49 ms 48 ms 48 ms
12 53 ms 49 ms 48 ms
13 49 ms 48 ms 48 ms
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 49 ms 49 ms 48 ms

Last edited:
Solution
No way to say for sure on the tracert. It could be the router in hop 4 has some issue responding to trace/ping but can pass traffic correctly or it could be that your wifi caused a delay when the tracert command was testing hop 4.

You need to collect a lot more data to be sure.

If you think it is the wifi leave a constant ping run to your router IP. You should see the spikes if this is the problem.

There is very little you can do to fix wifi issues like this. They are almost always caused by interference from outside your house. Pretty standard things to try even though they seldom work anymore. You could try to use 2.4 rather than 5. You could change the radio channels your router uses to try to avoid overlapping...
No way to say for sure on the tracert. It could be the router in hop 4 has some issue responding to trace/ping but can pass traffic correctly or it could be that your wifi caused a delay when the tracert command was testing hop 4.

You need to collect a lot more data to be sure.

If you think it is the wifi leave a constant ping run to your router IP. You should see the spikes if this is the problem.

There is very little you can do to fix wifi issues like this. They are almost always caused by interference from outside your house. Pretty standard things to try even though they seldom work anymore. You could try to use 2.4 rather than 5. You could change the radio channels your router uses to try to avoid overlapping neighbors (no really possible). You could the the channel width to 20mhz and try to again find a channel. This will greatly reduce your top speed but maybe you get lucky and you can find 20mhz rather than 80mhz that is not overlapped.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS