[SOLVED] Severe R9 290X Overheating Problem

Armoredhound

Reputable
Jun 25, 2020
Hey there fellas,

I am facing serious problems with my current R9 290X (blowerstyle type GPU).

The real problem here is that my PC shuts down when it hits 95C. I lost all hope for the GPU or the PC itself, I just want it to run temporary without shutting down so I get a new one in future.

But here comes the question... is there a way to disable the thermal throttling feature (I mean, stop the safety feature for the PC to shutdown when it reaches specific temperature).

Cheers!

Ah and forgot to mention, my fan runs on 4000 RPM and the god damn GPU still hits 95C.

Armoredhound

Reputable
Jun 25, 2020
You need to remove and clean the heatsink and replace the thermal paste, otherwise there is not much you can do.
I fully understand that I have to do that, but I am not a professional. My hands are made out of cheese, imagine I rip down the thermal pads and etc. That's too much of a risk for me, plus I got no thermal paste in here (that doesn't mean I can't buy one) but I still don't seem to find that useful since I've seen videos of other people doing it - and I can assure you that there is not too much of a difference.

Armoredhound

Reputable
Jun 25, 2020
That's fair, but that is the only real option. Otherwise, you might get away with blasting the card with canned air. If that doesn't do it, I recommend going to a computer repair shop and asking them to do what I told ya. Those are your options.
So I guess there is no actual way to disable the safety feature for the overheating and just going up with that option?

Armoredhound

Reputable
Jun 25, 2020
From your description, if you were even able to disable the safety feature, your card would die within a few hours of usage.
Actually no, the R9 290X is used on running up to 95C (that is one god damn stable temperature) but apparently it shuts down sometimes.

Still, I'd love to disable the safety feature.

Armoredhound

Reputable
Jun 25, 2020
Yes, that's with the saftey feature in place. If you remove the safety feature it will get above 95,
This is where the issue lies. It would become functionally unusable (dead) in hours.

As I said, I need this PC to work temporary by the time I get myself a brand new one, so I'll just get to the point - how do I disable this safety feature?

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
As I said, I need this PC to work temporary by the time I get myself a brand new one, so I'll just get to the point - how do I disable this safety feature?
If you're not savvy enough for a full GPU cleanup, you probably won't be so to disable the safety feature, since this is done through the GPU BIOS (custom BIOS are usually necessary for this). Your PC won't last more than a few hours, heck... even minutes in some cases, before the GPU burns something and goes out forever.