Severe Sound/CPU/Mobo/RAM(?) Probs

G

I JUST got an Audigy a few weeks ago as well as a completely new PC and a full reinstallation of Windows 2000 from scratch. I had a Live before this and I noticed before I reinstalled Windows I would get high pitched whistling noises first boot of the day after a hard boot. After rebooting it would go away. After reinstalling the issues persisted. I got an Audigy because 1) I thought it would go away, 2) I wanted one anyway.

Well you can probably guess it didn't. However new symptoms are turning up. Playing Starcraft one day a beep would play for a second, stop for a second, play, stop repeat. It stopped completely if I alt-tabbed to Windows, and DIDNT if I lowered the damn game's sound. My dad had my Live and got none of the things I had. He even has the same motherboard. That should rule out the sound card? The other oddity is my computer spontaneously reboots on a hard boot while playing my Windows start up sound. However after all this bull is over my computer is perfectly stable (save Baldur's Gate 2, can't play 15 minutes without a crash). That rules out faulty RAM.

PS: What's the required voltage for a 1.4GHz Athlon (not XP)? My computer runs noticeably hotter than someone else with the exact same configuration minus the Voodoo 5. It's currently set to the default 1.7v.

Shuttle AK32 (dad and other person have the 31)
Voodoo 5 (latest WHQL, card worked perfect in old computer)
256MB DDR PNY
Soundblaster Audigy
Windows 2000 (SP 2 + all updates)

garett

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2001
baldurs gate 2 is probably crashing because you have 3d rendering turned on. go here and get the patch you need for bg2:

http://www.interplay.com/bgate2/downloads.html

also, get the latest drivers for your voodoo5. im not sure what chipset shuttle ak32 uses but you need the latest drivers for that chipset as well. heck while your at it get the latest drivers for everything. if that doesnt fix it let us know.

G

garett: try again, I disabled 3D acceleration and it still crashed. Other people are experiencing the same crap. The common factor is Via and Windows 2000.

AK32 uses the KT266. I have latest drivers for everything. I also disabled my Audigy and used onboard sound, the game still crashed.