[SOLVED] Severe Trojan Virus, am I safe?

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
So I was on Microsoft edge (yes I use that) and I was looking for an Overwatch mapping tool. I found a post on reddit and I clicked the link that someone posted (none of the comments on that post said anything about it)

It took me to one of those pages that says something like “HEY! Your computer has a virus!” With that really loud beeping sound, and something started downloading... I quickly closed the browser, and clicked cancel download, and after that I got a notification from windows defender (I use Windows 10 pro 64bit), it said there was a severe Trojan virus on my pc, I clicked remove, and then another notification came up that said that all of the files may not have been removed, so I opened Windows defender again and started a full scan, I checked my downloads folder to make sure there was nothing new in there, and looked through task manager to make sure nothing suspicious was running. When the scan ended it said no threats were found. I still shut down my pc and came here.

Did I react correctly? Is there anything else I should have done/should do to make sure there’s nothing harmful on my computer?

Solution
That initial page of :
“HEY! Your computer has a virus! "....that WAS the malware. You had nothing. It was trying to fool you into taking action and buying something from them, or downloading something.

If you've run Defender and Malwarebytes, and nothing appeared...you're probably fine.

In future...be careful of what you click.

USAFRet

Titan
That initial page of :
“HEY! Your computer has a virus! "....that WAS the malware. You had nothing. It was trying to fool you into taking action and buying something from them, or downloading something.

If you've run Defender and Malwarebytes, and nothing appeared...you're probably fine.

Solution

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
That initial page of :

Ok, thx. I was fine with the website, it happened to me before, but what got to me was that something downloaded and Windows defender said there was a severe threat found on my computer.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
So I was on Microsoft edge (yes I use that) and I was looking for an Overwatch mapping tool. I found a post on reddit and I clicked the link that someone posted (none of the comments on that post said anything about it)

It took me to one of those pages that says something like “HEY! Your computer has a virus!” With that really loud beeping sound, and something started downloading... I quickly closed the browser, and clicked cancel download, and after that I got a notification from windows defender (I use Windows 10 pro 64bit), it said there was a severe Trojan virus on my pc, I clicked remove, and then another notification came up that said that all of the files may not have been removed, so I opened Windows defender again and started a full scan, I checked my downloads folder to make sure there was nothing new in there, and looked through task manager to make sure nothing suspicious was running. When the scan ended it said no threats were found. I still shut down my pc and came here.

Did I react correctly? Is there anything else I should have done/should do to make sure there’s nothing harmful on my computer?

This is your typical "Microsoft Technical Support" scam. What you saw are either the ads someone set up or their main website to fool you that you had a virus. Basically they will sell you a tech support service and tap into your computer directly.