[SOLVED] Sff Mobo with full sized GPU Open Air Build

alkingrey

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2012
So I have just got a hp prodesk 600 G with a 7th Gen i5 and 16gb of ram recently in a trade for a TV.
I have a gaming rig that is OLD like ddr2 ram phenom2xIII, but I have a gtx 660ti 3gb and a Corsair 750 power supply. Is it possible to use the PSU and GPU with my new HP if I make it open air?

Solution
Need to dig to figure out if the PCIex16 slot can supply a full 75W or if it's limited to 35W or 50W or something.

$200 buys you a GPU that's 2.5X faster than a GTX660Ti. GPU length inside the case will be an issue.

You can buy a new case for $30-$40 that's the proper size for a gaming GPU and ATX PSU.

Is there a standard 24pin ATX power connector on the mobo, or some proprietary BS? Looks like an 8 pin to me. That'd also make me think the PCIex16 slot can provide a full 75W.
Need to dig to figure out if the PCIex16 slot can supply a full 75W or if it's limited to 35W or 50W or something.

$200 buys you a GPU that's 2.5X faster than a GTX660Ti. GPU length inside the case will be an issue.

You can buy a new case for $30-$40 that's the proper size for a gaming GPU and ATX PSU.

Is there a standard 24pin ATX power connector on the mobo, or some proprietary BS? Looks like an 8 pin to me. That'd also make me think the PCIex16 slot can provide a full 75W.

Last edited:
Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I think @alkingrey 's intent is to not spend any money on this project, considering how old the system is.

That said, @tennis2 raises a good point - there's a possibility that the PCIe slot on that MB might be rated for only 25W or 35W. It might be printed on the MB itself just above or below the slot. In addition, the possibility of some wacky 8-pin or other proprietary MB connector might suggest power constraints, even if there's no other indication.

Still, if the limits are not there, then it's an interesting idea. Keep in mind that the 660Ti is a 150W card.