SFFWG Renames PCIe SSD SFF-8639 Connector To U.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice a name that normalish people can remember, more standards means more adapters I need to have to work on people's systems.. I do like that it has loads of bandwidth and that the cables aren't crazy wide like SCSI or IDE.

rdc85

Honorable
Will this phase out, sata express for desktop / mainstream space.. ?
(excluding M.2)
or it will backward compatible..

since I don't see sata express already mainstream, now there is U.2..
will have to wait and see which one is stays and which one will gone, before adopting one..

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015
Good summary, Paul. Be on the lookout for NVMe PCIe RAID controllers e.g. 4 x Intel 750 in RAID-5.
Yes, very exciting stuff coming to market! Of course everyone wants to keep a lid on it for now, so most info we cant share yet, but the RAID guys have to stay in business and continue to grow sales, not have them decline, and there is really only one way to do that....

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015
No, I do not. Those aren't tested in a RAID configuration, instead with each individual card accessed as a separate volume.
The reason he couldn't hit theoretical limits with RAID configurations? Because the OS isn't optimized for it, and there are issues with MB switching.
The hardware I am speaking of are dedicated RAID controllers that utilize the U.2 connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS