Question Shader Cache Causes Stutters in Rocket League ?

eyywassup

Reputable
Sep 4, 2019
Hey people.

My issue is Rocket League stutters/drops frames during the first minutes of the first match of each session. As soon as it stops compiling shaders, it is smooth sailing. This is normal in games, especially in UE4 ones but in most games, these stutters disappear after your first installation or your first few minutes. Rocket League does this one each session. I play it, it stutters a bit then returns to normal, i close the game then the same happens after I start it up again.

I know that this is a Shader Cache issue because it does not exist on Linux, where Steam Proton just pre-compiles shaders after the first installation. This problem also occurs on my desktop pc, which is equipped with a GTX 1050 and Ryzen 5 1600AF. It DOES NOT occur on my friend's laptop, which is also equipped with a GTX 1050 but paired with an i7. Another game where this happens is Deep Rock Galactic (another UE4 game) but those stutters disappear after the first 6-10 minutes.

Any help is appreciated. (I have tried disabling or enabling the shader cache through the registry editor.)

My Specs:
Lenovo Thinkbook 15 ARE
Ryzen 5 4500U
Vega 6 Graphics
16GB 3200MHZ Dual Channel Ram
240GB SSD

eyywassup

Reputable
Sep 4, 2019
Have you tried resetting, lowering or turning off shader cache in AMD and NVIDIA control settings?
Can't really speak for my desktop PC as it's at my parents house right now but I tried resetting it on AMD's Radeon software on my laptop and it really didn't change anything. You can only reset it on AMD whereas on NVIDIA you can mess around with it a bit more. Some people on the internet mentioned that you can disable it OR put it on Force On (instead of AMD Optimized) through Registry Editor but after those settings, I've found them to have no effect in Rocket League. Disabling it and resetting it messed up other games but as far as I can tell, no real effect on Rocket League.

What windows power plan are you using? It sounds like it is taking a while for your processor to come up to speed. Have you tried a more aggressive power plan? One other thing you may want to check is your advanced system settings for processor scheduling is set for performance and virtual memory is using appropriate amount of memory.