[SOLVED] Shadow of the Tomb Raider bottleneck?

SkyRock1986

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
I am playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider completely ULTRA at 1440p 165hz with ultra raytracing using a RTX 2070. Certain times I will get lag for a few seconds. But my Ryzen 2600x doesnt exceed 50 % usage with all cores at a max 66 degrees. GPU is at 98% 70 degrees. So is my CPU not able to keep up with my GPU?

SkyRock1986

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
That is disappointing... you would think a RTX 2070 would beable to take anything. Maybe if I try to lower the 165hz? Maybe do ray trace at medium instead since it's not a 2080

SkyRock1986

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Yeah I have dlss on and riva tuner with dlss says I run a good 70-80fps just dont understand the random stutter occasionally. If I turn dlss off I drop to like 29/30 fps on ultra ray trace. 96 to 98% utilization of the GPU is good right? That's not a bad thing. My cpu cores are hopping all over the place like 17% to 60% but staying at a 66 degree temp

SkyRock1986

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
What I do not get here though is my fps were still relatively high and consistent with even ultra ray trace, it must be that ray trace technology with dlss enabled doesnt effect frames as much but still shows stutter?

Just trying to understand the operations of raytrace cores when using dlss. It's kind of intriguing that dlss maintains the frames but noticable stutter occurs in the performance.

SkyRock1986

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
My fear is DLSS software will end up burning out these cards. Or causing some sort of damage. It's got to be harmful to force frames at a lower temp like this. It's like running and being told not to sweat. Its unnatural. Wish I was more educated on exactly what DLSS is and how it operates

Jan 22, 2020
My fear is DLSS software will end up burning out these cards. Or causing some sort of damage. It's got to be harmful to force frames at a lower temp like this. It's like running and being told not to sweat. Its unnatural. Wish I was more educated on exactly what DLSS is and how it operates
DLSS uses artificial intelligence (machine learning - math) to infer how the image should look. Instead of performing intensive computation on the CPU, it looks at available data like previous frames and environment and infers part of the new frame. It should not burn out your GPU - it's less GPU intensive than not using it. The stutter may be caused by the GPU not having enough memory for the ultra ray tracing and so it needs to use another slower memory (e.g. ram or even hard drive), causing stutter. Maybe using a solid state drive or getting more/faster ram helps with the stutter too.

TRENDING THREADS