[SOLVED] Shadows from HDR

cordeirooo

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2012
I've been getting strange shadows beside boxes in certain websites and softwares (Discord) as you can see in the images below.
What's stranger is that they go away if:
  • I plug-in a second monitor with HDR on;
  • Disable HDR.
It's possible this is a VGA problem (and hopefully it is) not a display issue, since I haven't noticed any problems when using the TV's apps or while playing Switch.
Since I don't see the shadows in the screenshot, I'm not sure the VGA theory holds true, though.

Monitor is a LG 65UN7310PSC, using 2.1HDMI cable and a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 .

Whats-App-Image-2021-09-08-at-22-12-27.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2021-09-08-at-22-13-47.jpg

EDIT: Weird, images were not appearing.

Last edited:

Joseph_138

Distinguished
It's possible your monitor may only be partially HDR compatible, and is doing what it can to display an HDR image, but just doesn't have all the resources it needs to do the job right. For some monitors with a very low level of compatibility, you may be better off not trying to use HDR at all. I have an LG 32UN550-W, and that falls short of HDR 400 in several areas, but still looks better than a monitor that doesn't support HDR at all.

At 65 inches, this sounds more like a TV than a monitor. HDR TV's usually have much better coverage of the HDR specifications than many monitors. Are you sure this isn't screen burn?

Last edited:

cordeirooo

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2012
Can't be, because it replicates the image to the left, it's not permanent. And when using the TV's apps, I get no shadows.
I'll replace cables and test another video card just to err on the safe side.