Question Shall I add two more fans to my build ?

chris78

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
Hi I currently have

I7 8700k @4.7ghz
MSI z370 gaming pro carbon
MSI gtx gaming X 1080
Corsair lpx 2 X 8gb ddr4 ram
Evga 850w power supply
Corsair x570 RGB

My CPU temps are fine in this build never going above 60, but I have noticed on certain games my gpu can hit 80 degrees sometimes 86. If I put two more fans at the top as exhaust will this help cool my gpu.

I also have an MSI GamingX GPU but an RX480 (undervolted, so about 30W less power draw than your GTX1080 presumably). After recently getting frustrated with similar temps as yours (85C @ max fans), I took the GPU out, removed the heatsink (4 screws), removed the old thermal paste, and applied new stuff (Noctua NT-H1). Took 15 minutes.
I tested in FurMark: Before - 71C @ 1400rpm --> After 71C @ 900rpm (both tests with side panel off)
I was getting 85C in Shadow of the Tomb Raider @ max fans before with the side panel on. --> After, 75C (target temp) and the fans were barely audible. I didn't log fan rpm yet, but if i had to guess, they're probably around 1200-1400rpm.

Something to consider. I'm a happy camper.

Last edited:
MX-4 is fine. The sphere of TIM you'll apply isn't going to be much. If you haven't put TIM on a GPU before, I'd suggest doing a test blob first (apply how much TIM you think you need in a blob in the center of the chip, screw down the heatsink, remove the heatsink to check distribution, clean off TIM, apply adjusted amount of TIM, button it up). You want the TIM to reach all edges of the chip, but not have excessive TIM oozing down the sides of the chip. They say a CPU takes a blob the size of a grain of rice. I'd say a GPU is about half that. My first application didn't quite reach the edges of the chip because it appeared the base of my heatsink isn't perfectly flat (nice and thin TIM in the middle, thicker around the edges).

As I mentioned, you only need to remove the 4 screws directly around the GPU die. They look different than the rest of the screws and have springs on them. The heads rest on the PCB, not the backplate. No need to remove the other screws as they hold the backplate and RAM/VRM heatsinks on. Those should be fine.

When you tighten the screws back down, just turn them to refusal. You'll notice the standoffs on the heatsink are shouldered so you can't overtighten. The springs wimpy, just there to put some tension on the screws to reduce the chances of them vibrating loose.

Last edited: