[SOLVED] Shall I buy a cheap Windows 10 license (provided by Kinguin, SCDKey etc.) OR leave my Windows 10 non-activated?

Oct 17, 2019
I am installing Windows 10 on a new laptop and am wondering if I shall buy a cheap license for it. Currently, I can't afford to buy a high-priced license from Microsoft. I wanted to give resellers like Kinguin, SCDKey, eBay a shot but I am confused due to mixed reviews. I can't decide if I should leave my newly installed Windows non-activated or go for a cheap license.

Some things to consider:

1. I don't bother about personalizing Windows or the activation watermark.

2. I have a paid subscription for ESET Internet Security (including Ransomware Protection), so security on a non-activated Windows won't be an issue, right?

Solution
If that doesnt bother you, why pay anything. Just run unactivated.
I wanted to give resellers like Kinguin, SCDKey, eBay a shot but I am confused due to mixed reviews.
That's a can of worms. You can have a good or bad experience, but I would just run unactivated if it doesnt bother you.
2. I have a paid subscription for ESET Internet Security (including Ransomware Protection), so security on a non-activated Windows won't be an issue, right?
Shouldn't be.
If that doesnt bother you, why pay anything. Just run unactivated.
I wanted to give resellers like Kinguin, SCDKey, eBay a shot but I am confused due to mixed reviews.
That's a can of worms. You can have a good or bad experience, but I would just run unactivated if it doesnt bother you.
Shouldn't be.

Reactions: samamun777
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Leave it Unactivated, until such time you want to pay for a valid license.

I have a long running test of an Unactivated WIn 10 Pro, just to see what happens.
Installed in a VM on Dec 8, 2016, still running just fine.

Don't encourage and support the criminals.

Reactions: samamun777

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
First, let me state that I agree... run un-activated until you can afford the valid license.

But let me play devil's advocate for a moment...
What is the legal difference whether you run W10 free (unactivated) or you buy a piece of a volume license for $8 - $30 and run it activated?

What is the legal difference whether you run W10 free (unactivated) or you buy a piece of a volume license for $8 - $30 and run it activated?
Fair point, and I will also mention, it is a possibility that the cheap key is legitimate and legal, whereas unactivated is always a breach of contract.

Microsoft has done nothing about unactivated windows users but has unactivated installs with blacklisted keys, but this is rare from what I have seen personally.

Reminds me of WinRAR which few people activate since you can use the program past the free past trial, and the devs haven't changed this.

USAFRet

Titan
First, let me state that I agree... run un-activated until you can afford the valid license.

Supporting the criminals with the cheap one.

One of my laptops recently suffered deactivation from a volume license key installation.
Purchased a refurb laptop in Feb 2019, Newegg reseller.
Came with an unexpected Win 10 Pro. But it was Activated, so I went with it.
Exactly 6 months later, Unactivated.
The refurb company that sold it to me knows exactly what they installed, but would not fess up.
Eventually I contacted Asus (manufacturer), and they sent me the original license key that it cae with.
For WIn 10 Home.
Which obviously would not work to activate a Win 10 Pro install.

Result? Irate customer.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Supporting the criminals with the cheap one.

One of my laptops recently suffered deactivation from a volume license key installation.
Purchased a refurb laptop in Feb 2019, Newegg reseller.
Came with an unexpected Win 10 Pro. But it was Activated, so I went with it.
Exactly 6 months later, Unactivated.
The refurb company that sold it to me knows exactly what they installed, but would not fess up.
Eventually I contacted Asus (manufacturer), and they sent me the original license key that it cae with.
For WIn 10 Home.
Which obviously would not work to activate a Win 10 Pro install.

Result? Irate customer.
Yeah, it was probably a key they sold more than once. The next user to use it deactivated your copy.

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah, it was probably a key they sold more than once. The next user to use it deactivated your copy.
"Exactly 6 months" indicates a volume license, that could not communicate with its corporate license server.
Either way....the customer, me, was left with an Unactivated license, for a system he purchased in good faith.

Of course, that Unactivation happened 2 days before a major vacation. Needless to say, I was not (is not) a happy camper.

TRENDING THREADS