Shall I expect my motherboard to work?

be.mihai22

Prominent
Dec 16, 2017
Hello everyone, I had an incident yesterday evening while playing a game. My PSU made a short noise, like a small explosion and the panel switch for all the sockets in the house went off. I tried pulling it up, but the computer wouldn't turn on. Checked the fuse in the cable's plug and it was blown. After changing this fuse, I realised the problem is deeper. I propped out the PSU and realized there was a switch that blew. It's name is TNY278PN. With that, another fuse (now inside the psu was blown off too). I am wondering if my motherboard or other components are touched.

I can say that I am not an electrician, but I know how to test if current is flowing through conductors.

I don't have another psu to test my system with. Based on this information and the fact that the PSU is an OCZ MODXStream PRO 700W, can you suggest if the motherboard and other components are safe?

Many thanks.

Solution
The part TNY278PN is a AC/DC converter)(according to mouser) but it can only deliver 21,5w so it might be for the 5vsb rail. This should mean that it's not connected directly to any components outside the psu so you might get lucky and still have working components that take power from your 5vsb rail but the most expensive components like cpu and gpu should be fine.

EDIT:
The 5vsb rail always provides power like for me, it provides power to my USB ports and leads on my mobo while the pc is turned off. This means that your mobo might be fried.
After an accident like that I wouldn't trust it as far as I can throw it. To fix it and test it properly takes some specialized equipment. As we say in the trade "Fuses don't blow up for nothin' ".
As far as possible damage to other parts, it's quite possible but until you try with known good PSU

CeramicTilePudding69

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
The part TNY278PN is a AC/DC converter)(according to mouser) but it can only deliver 21,5w so it might be for the 5vsb rail. This should mean that it's not connected directly to any components outside the psu so you might get lucky and still have working components that take power from your 5vsb rail but the most expensive components like cpu and gpu should be fine.

EDIT:
The 5vsb rail always provides power like for me, it provides power to my USB ports and leads on my mobo while the pc is turned off. This means that your mobo might be fried.

Solution

be.mihai22

Prominent
Dec 16, 2017

Thank you very much. Indeed. This is the correct answer. In the meantime I've bought a full modular PSU (a corsair RM650x) with better certificates and 10 year warranty and my system is ok.

Thanks for your answer.