Shame question. How to plug that card?

boomberman

Reputable
May 31, 2015
Hey

I bought card, but dont know how to plug cable to card. I know that black one should put to card, but where to put that white one?

Here is photo of cable that I don't know where to put, card, and motherboard.

2570973_DSCN0371.JPG

2570974_DSCN0373.JPG

3rd photo - http://zmniejszacz.pl/zdjecie/264/2570975_DSCN0372.JPG

4rd photo - http://zmniejszacz.pl/zdjecie/264/2570976_DSCN0374.JPG

Solution
If everything started and you have a black screen, give it a minute. It might need to just detect where your video port is connected. If nothing happens after a few minutes, or like 30 seconds, try the on-board video. If you still have nothing, we have more problems...I hope you didn't damage the card with the incorrect power connections.
Those white cables are called MOLEX, they are the OLD style of power for PC components (i.e. HDD, Optional Drive, Floppy, etc). When SATA released, they also came with SATA power cables. Just like there is a 20/24-pin motherboard power cable, 4-pin CPU power, they now have 6-pin PCI-e power cables. Those cables you posted at MOLEX to 6-pin PCI-e adapters for older systems. Your PSU on the other hand should not need those adapters. You should have more cables that came with the PUS correct, maybe with 6-pins and labeled PCI-e?

Yo need to find those cables, add them to the PSU, and then connect the video card. Don't worry about those MOLEX adapters, they do not apply to you with your updated system.

Sorry no, you need both cables. Not sure what card you have, but if there are two (2) spots for cables...you need them both. But here is what you can do:

Use one of the red cables for the required 6-pin connection, then use your both black cable with MOLEX cables not the SATA cables (MOLEX are larger/wider than the skinny SATA ones). Then use one of the adapters to get the second 6-pin needed on the card.

It should work no problem and get you running. Just make sure you have everything properly connected, you are grounded when working (no static shock to the system), and away you go!

How long did you give it? Did it attempt to turn on or nothing at all happen? If it turned on, but no video it could be detecting the card and switching video. Did you try to use the on-board video to see if anything comes on? ...or does NOTHING happen (i.e. power lights, fans, etc)?

Is everything else connected correctly? Did you bump something when installing the new card? Are all cables secured correctly?

Also, what Graphics Card is this? You have a 530W PSU. Some cards actually require more system power than that...for example, the AMD R9 280 or higher requires a 750W PSU. While it does not use that much power, can't argue with manufactures when things don't work.

The GTX 960 requires 500W system power and you have 530W. Even at max load you are fine, most likely even with SLI 960's if you wanted to. So that should not be the problem.

To confirm, the Motherboard Green Light (power) came on, the NIC light flickers, and all other power lights turned on...that's good. I assume this happened AFTER you hit the power button?

Did any fans activate or start? Also, have you tried connecting to your on-board video?

boomberman

Reputable
May 31, 2015
Before none of fan started working.

I pluged out red and green from PCU, and computer turned on. I tried to put my monitor for DVI from mothercoard card but there is just black screen

Is your GTX 960 still in the PCI-e slot? If so, that might be why the on-board is not displaying anything. The system is auto-detecting the GTX 960 adn trying to use that.

Based on what you are saying, I believe the problem is with you Power Supply Unit (PSU). Can you confirm it is a 530W PSU? The picture is hard to confirm at the angle. Also, were both the red and green cables 6-pin? Both fit into the two (2) 6-pin connections on the GTX 960 correctly? What EXACT Graphics Card do you have? Can you give me a link to where you bought it from?

Something is not correct in your PSU, either wrong cables, or not enough power for some reason.

Well, you did something wrong. The exact card you have (Gigabyte GTX 960) requires: Power requirement: 400W (with two 6-pin external power connectors)

The two (2) cables you showed me are 8-pin. So there is no way you had them in correctly. Two (2) 8-pin cables cannot plug into two (2) 6-pin connectors, that is just not possible. You need to locate the correct cables for your PSU and PCI-e devices.

boomberman

Reputable
May 31, 2015
Ok I looked at my cables and see difrence.

Cable (1) has 6pin from card, and 6pin to PCU (has 8 space, but only 6pin there)

Now I have cable (2) and (3) from other PCU that has 6pin from card, and 8pin to PCU).

I do not have second cable that has 6pin for card and 6pin for PCU.

There is no way I will bought this cable today, maybe there is some chance that I can use my other cables to connect together.

http://zmniejszacz.pl/galeria/556cb0feebea4/bez-nazwy

As I suggested before, since you have one (1) of the correct 6-pin cable for sure, and one (1) MOLEX adapter, you can make it work. Use the one (1) regular 6-pin PCI-e cable you have with the PSU, then use the MOLEX adapter that came with the card and use the MOLEX cables with the PSU.

If you do this right, you should be able to get the two (2) 6-pin PCI-e connections required and get your system going with the new card.

boomberman

Reputable
May 31, 2015
It is working!!! I unpluged and pluged again and started working.

Now I will try to set 2 monitors, because only one working. Anyway, compuyer turned on.

It so great there are people like you who are able to sacrifase their time to help others. thank you sir!

The MOLEX adapter are the two (2) cables you posted in your original post, the first image on this thread. Just remember, as you have one (1) 6-pin PCI-e connection with the PSU, you will only need one (1) adapter.

Please CONFIRM all connections before starting the computer. Like I said before, MAKE SURE IT FITS. Putting two (2) 8-pin connections on a card with two (2) 6-pin connections clearly does NOT fit.

If everything started and you have a black screen, give it a minute. It might need to just detect where your video port is connected. If nothing happens after a few minutes, or like 30 seconds, try the on-board video. If you still have nothing, we have more problems...I hope you didn't damage the card with the incorrect power connections.

Solution

boomberman

Reputable
May 31, 2015
It is working!!! I unpluged and pluged again and started working.

Now I will try to set 2 monitors, because only one working. Anyway, compuyer turned on.

It so great there are people like you who are able to sacrifase their time to help others. thank you sir!

Very glad I could help you out, we all start somewhere in our computer experience. I hope you could learn some things from this and in-turn, help someone else down the road.

If you need anything else, feel free to PM me anytime.