Share a folder and its sub-folders

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

I would like to share a folder and its sub-folders with different right as
below.

Root folder <-- Everyone in read only except administrator and the owner who
have change right.

One sub-folder right under root folder <-- Everyone in change right.

Ond sub-folder right under root folder <-- Everyone in read only except the
finance group who has change right

Your advice to accomplish this task is highly appreicated.

Thanks,

Ray

In article <eBSAOabPEHA.2716@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "Ray" <Ray282828@Yahoo.com.HK> wrote:
|I would like to share a folder and its sub-folders with different right as
|below.
|
|Root folder <-- Everyone in read only except administrator and the owner who
|have change right.
|
|One sub-folder right under root folder <-- Everyone in change right.
|
|Ond sub-folder right under root folder <-- Everyone in read only except the
|finance group who has change right
|
|Your advice to accomplish this task is highly appreicated.
|
|Thanks,
|
|Ray

Make the share (to the root folder) have FULL (or at least CHANGE) access
permissions for everyone, and then set the NTFS permissions on the
folders/files to your desired permissions. The resulting permission is
whichever one is most restrictive - in this case, the NTFS permission.
This also has the effect of limiting the permissions as you wish for users if
they are logged on locally, as well as access through the share.
If you do not have the drive formatted as NTFS, you can convert FAT32 to NTFS
via the CONVERT command.