Question Share HTPC with outdoor TV

Oct 4, 2022
I plan to install a TV in my outdoor living area but I have no cable service for signal. I just built a high-performance home theater PC for indoors and would like to use it to run both indoor and outdoor monitors at the same time, e.g, Netflix on one and Amazon Prime in the other (not as a mirrored display). I’ve looked into creating a virtual machine and running a separate OS for the outdoor display, but honestly, I don’t know enough about it or anything else that might work as a solution. Any suggestions?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Obviously you have internet to house because Netflix, Prime etc, just not any internet to out door tv. What about wifi extender? Then you could use Chromecast to cast from htpc to tv. With extended wifi you'll have other options as well, cast from phone or get Chromecast with Google TV which has those streaming apps and more imbedded. Just need wifi to reach where tv is outside.

Oct 4, 2022
Thank you for the thoughtful response. Yes, I do have high speed internet service and I do have a mesh system, so that’s not a problem. I would; however, like to find a solution without an additional subscriber service if possible.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Not subscribing to anything. Chromecast just connects to tv via hdmi. Google tv version of Chromecast comes with the device already containing streaming apps so you don't have to rely on an external device to cast, ie phone. Also Google tv Chromecast comes with a remote.

I use Chromecast for an old tv outside. I bought Chromecast before Google tv version of it came out. Doesn't matter, using phone is fine, just a remote would be handy to rewind better lol. For what you want to do seems obvious to me Chromecast (whichever one) is the way to go for you.

Btw vlc player can also cast to Chromecast.

Reactions: Corwin65
Thank you for the thoughtful response. Yes, I do have high speed internet service and I do have a mesh system, so that’s not a problem. I would; however, like to find a solution without an additional subscriber service if possible.

You don't need to add new service, anything you have you can logon to multiple devices on. I use one Netflix account on many of my systems. Pretty much any TV you can buy now would have Netflix and Prime apps included in it, just link it to your home network with a cable or WiFi.