Share Internet over 12 mi

BirdBuster

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
I live in a small town with very slow dsl internet. Now just 12 mi from me is another town with any type of internet provider and speeds possible. I was wondering we both bought long range antennas and pointed them at each of if it will actually work or not. Was looking at something like.

http://amazon.com/Ubiquiti-900Mhz-NanoBridge-Airmax-Antenna/dp/B007PVBXUS/ref=cm_sw_em_r_dp_OsUXtb147NP82ST5_lm

We both have towers at our house and we both live in town. My tower is taller than his but there will be trees in the way.

If this will not work what would work. If they will work what kind of signal strength would you guess I'd have and type of speeds we would actually be capable of sharing. He has a 100 down, and not sure what the up is. Do you for see rain, wind (tower move back and forth a little), or snow being an issue. I live in MN so there will be all types of whether.

I mean from description it sounds like this would work but I am very doubtful. Hoping there is an expert that could point me in the right direction or provide me with as much information as possible.

Thanks

Solution
Even if it did work, which it wont at that distance, through trees, over the curvature of the earth, youd be so lagged by the signal it would probably be even more frustrated. If you are gaming, forget it. Used a LOS internet provider once, never again. It was absolute garbage and it was only 6 miles away, on a mountain, in the desert, so trees werent an issue.

BirdBuster

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

Any chance you could elaborate or explain why not and if there is any chance with another type of hardware?

How tall are your towers, I suspect not tall enough if trees are in the way.

When you start looking at long distances you need to be concerned with the curve of the earth as well as signal absorption and reflections from the ground. This is a very complex topic but the calculators are easy to use.

http://www.wirelessconnections.net/calcs/FresnelZone.asp

12 miles at 900mhz says 131ft towers. 5g can get by with shorter towers...about 50ft but it may have trouble going 12 miles.

BirdBuster

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

Mine is about 50 ft tall but about the same height as a tree that is on the south side of my house, and the direction it would be pointed along with other trees there in town that are in the way. His tower is a little shorter than mine as well. So it sounds like it would never work?

Even if it did work, which it wont at that distance, through trees, over the curvature of the earth, youd be so lagged by the signal it would probably be even more frustrated. If you are gaming, forget it. Used a LOS internet provider once, never again. It was absolute garbage and it was only 6 miles away, on a mountain, in the desert, so trees werent an issue.

Solution