scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
i read somewhere aboot oil and something to do something to cool the cpu.... i'm not sure what i'm talking aboot but if you know something about oil being used to cool cou shate tit

</font color=red><b><font color=orange>i Own all the rights tO yOur sOul. .r nerber ig vash gOughen nOre midat

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I saw something a while back about someone cooling a whole motherboard by just immersing the whole thing in mineral oil. They just filled a big tub/tank with the stuff and dropped the board in. Got fairly decent overclocking results IIRC.

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen

Scamtron....back to the other!

(Sorry about this guys, sometimes he sneaks past us and gets out into the rest of the forum :tongue: )

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
this was done with a block, much like a water block. what happened was the oil circulated on its own without the need of a pump. some weird physics are involved. the heat exchanger is mounted to the case and the whole case acts like a heat sink. and as warm anything will rise over the cold same thing, you'd have oil circulation.

i read this about dentists lasers. they use the laser to get rid of schit on your teeth and apparently the damn thing gets extremely hot. the cooling device did a decent job at keeping the thing cool. i was thinking since it consists of only two parts and some tubing, why aren't we using it on our CPUs? no noise either. i wonder how expensive it is and if it is possible to implement it in the computer world.

</font color=red><b><font color=orange>i Own all the rights tO yOur sOul. .r nerber ig vash gOughen nOre midat

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
does that look red to you?

you must enjoy red pennys

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Certainly sounds a lot less messy and more sensible than the 'tub of oil' thing I was thinking of.

It would have to use some sort of convection - you'd need a very tough pump to pump oil instead of water, as it's so much thicker.

I've never known a dentist use a laser on me...

*mental image of big-ass laser in GoldFinger*
"Do you expect me to have clean teeth?"
"Noooo, mister bond, I expect you to die!"

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen

RichPLS

Champion
just wondering, is oil not conductive?

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
i wonder how expensive it is and if it is possible to implement it in the computer world.
I was reading at OC forums and they are saying that it has been used but not too effectively. At least they don't put a lot of stock in it.

RichPLS

Champion
satan red>

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
well, its not like motor oil or cooking oil. its a lot more like DOT5 oil. there really isn't much viscosity to it and they use oil so it doesn't evaporate for one of the reasons. it certainly is less fluid than water though.

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
as far as i know, all oils are non conductive in their pure form. now if you look at the atomic number on the periodic table and the last digit is 3 or less, its not conductive. if its 4, it is semi conductive. if its 5 or more, that indicates a good number of electrons and means its conductive.

but all that is changed when there are impurities in the oil.

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
i been reading on this for a few hours now. it seems nasa has a system based on the same technology to cool some of their devices, but there is no info on it.

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
maybe you got to turn the red down on your monitor?

the screen name is copper and the sig is orange. like a penny copper.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Got some info for you. Just ran this by one of the top Unix programers in the world "In other words this guy knows what he is talking about". He said that you could do the same thing with motor oil but the mineral oil is clear so it would probably be a better idea. He also said that it is not conductive, so it would be perfectly safe. In fact he was under the impression that I was about to try this, so he told me to keep in mind that one downside would be that you would have one big mess if you needed to work on anything. I

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
More news! He just called back and told me that the effects of the cooling would be significant even if the mineral oil was not circulated and cooled simply because there are so many more molecules in oil than in water

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Hey guys I think that I may give this a shot. I have a pile of old computers lying around. They only collect dust! Give me some suggestions on reliable temp monitoring software and/or methods.

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
dood, he must be mistaking. water molecules are smaller than oil molecules. also thicker oils will not do as well of a job as thinner oils. so theoretically, motor oil will not do as good of a job as DOT5 oil and DOT5 oils will not do as good of a job as water and water will not do as good of a job as alcohol.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Hold on! First of all I didnt say that motor oil would do a better job, I said that you could do the same thing with it"meaning that you could use motor oil". I thought you wanted some input on the subject. Neither one of us were even thinking about which one would cool the best. We were just talking about the concept. Wasnt that what you wanted input on. As for the molecule thing, I can assure you it was me that was mistaken not him. This man made a perfect score on the ACT, and that doesnt compare to the fact that he has degrees in Computer science, Mathmatics, and Nuclear Physics. If I need to be more technical I will try and do better from now on- for a given millimeter of water or oil there isnt much difference in the number of molecules. You are correct about water molecules being smaller, but water will conduct electricity a little to well to sink a MOBO in it. So you would need deionized water to make it work(in theory). I was just trying to add to your information about the subject. As far as me being wrong, I will take this as a chance to state for the record that I am wrong all the time. As for my friend and his advice, I will take his advice and knowledge base any day of the week.

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
awee.... you make me sound like a jack ass.

i'm going to pluck one of your nose hair the next time you do this!!! ooooh and it'll hurt, you can count on that! it'll be one of those hairs that makes you cry like a bitch!!!! yeah, be afraid, be very afraid!!! HAR!

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
oh and i'm still reading and i find that the hotter it gets, the harder it works... oh boy, does that sound wrong... anyway, mind out of the gutter.

so basically, there are two parts; the block and the heat exchanger. it sounds like a very efficient system