Share your most mesmerizing music!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the harmonica intro to the song School by Supertramp, it just seems to be mesmerizing to me and extremely soothing, I almost wish the entire song was just the harmonica.

Share your songs that just seem to do the same for you?

http://en.musicplayon.com/play?v=435568

You may or not, have to bear with the ad as soon as the song starts playing, :pfff: (Freaking ads are everywhere!), but you'll hear what I mean.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Never to late to learn about classical music. I am hearing this music since I was 10 years old and I am now 70.I favor Jazz and popular also.

D

Deleted member 217926

Old school metal head here and that's ok musically but that "singer" ....ouch. Sounds like Dark Angel or Sepultura. I could never get into that sound. I like speed and thrash best ( and really I like pretty much everything from thrash to classical and everything in between). If you want to hear a talented metal song ( group ) check this out.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC5XjT3shJ4"][/video]

I like to crank this up to 11. Every time I listen to it something falls off the wall!

Or metal to chill to. Yes it does exist!

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8qrwON1-zE"][/video]

Cliff Burton was such a badass on the bass.

Someone else likes UmmaGumma? :) Heh "Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict" is amazing. Back in the days when Sid Barrett was going insane.

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
@anort, honestly I quite enjoy Dark Angel. Not a fan of Sepultura though.. I personally lean more towards the speed/thrash/melodic metal than other sub-genres. Groove metal - Pantera, Lamb of God, Byzantine, Black Label Society, Pride and Glory, etc are all quite enjoyable as well. The song I posted was chosen to showcase a multitude of these styles, all within one seventeen minute long epic of a song.

If I was going to listen to metal to "chill" to, I would probably pick Ozzy, or Dio. Orion is an amazing Metallica song though, I do have to say - nice pick.

Edit: have you ever heard of Black Tide? I'm constantly playing these guys at work cause they pump me up so freakin much. Believe it or not, at the time of signing their record deal, the oldest member of the band was 17. Warriors of Time, and Live Fast Die Young are my favorite songs from them.

D

Deleted member 217926

Nope never heard of them although that's no surprise if they are a fairly new band. Most of what I listen to is older. I was a big fan of Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Testament, Metal Church, Exodus etc. Pretty much what you would call speed metal. Pantera rocks. We partied with some friends of theirs on my senior cruise. That was interesting to say the least! Iron Maiden. Sabbath, Ozzy, GnR, Judas Priest, Diamond Head, Misfits and dozens of others. I started listening to metal in the mid 80s when I was 12 or 13 like all kids do.

I really like pretty much anything musically as long as they are talented. The last 10 years or so almost everything sounds the same. I can't remember the last album that I liked all of. Maybe a Lincoln Park album or Tool.

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Seriously, check them out. Their first album is fantastic speed/power metal. They even did a cover of Hit The Lights on it.

I love Slayer. Still can't believe Jeff Hanneman is no longer with us..

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Jazz is another love of mine especially the old classics like Ben Webster and Coleman hawkins and John Coltraine and Stan Getz.

For just relaxing, harpsichord music (e.g. Bach) is good. I also enjoy the sound tracks from Guild Wars for a variety of moods (idyllic to kick-butt).
Artie Shaw's "Begin the Beguine" builds up to a nice chill-inducing passage, as does Boston's "Don't Look Back" but for somewhat different reasons.
Branching into Metal (and similar), I've particularly enjoyed the USMC version of The Warrior Song. The final "OoRAH! Marine Corps, GET SOME!" is a good KITA to get moving on something. The Army version also has a motivating relentless quality to it that I enjoy.

WK thanks for redirecting some of us here.

Sorry for all the jargon but here it goes...

In regards to Metallica, I cannot respect musicians (Kirk Hammet) pulling "a bag of tricks" after "a bag of tricks" after "a bag of tricks" when its just a really fast pentatonic scale. His guitar playing really bothers me, I will take a slow melodic George Harrison solo over Kirk's garbage any day. I do enjoy metal guitar soloing but when its tastefully done. On another note Lars is one of the worst drummers of all time, haha

As far as old school metal goes one of my favorites is, "Circle the Drain" by 36 Crazyfists.

Personally I am huge into the jamband scene: Phish, Umphreys, Lotus and the likes, also really love downbeat electronic music like Pretty Lights. Overall I have an eclectic musical taste. I attending a recording school in NAshville Tennessee in my earlier years which help build my affinity for high quality audio and production.

Joe, I like your reference to Boston's "Don't Look Back"...

I have scaled back in a large way regarding threads relating to technology, I think this music thread is great!!!

D

Deleted member 217926

There are other jam bands than Widespread? :lol: Not here in Georgia! I've only been to about 10 shows so I'm just a minor Spreadhead.

Also love electronica. My IPod would confuse the hell out of most people. Everything from Carmina Burana to Slayer, Pink Floyd to Cypress Hill, Mazzy Star to Enya. You get the idea.

And Justice For All and earlier were all great albums. The Black album was OK and everything newer you can keep. Starting with the Black album they attracted a significantly broader audience. Going to a Justice or before show and everyone in the audience looked like a stereotypical headbanger. When the Black tour came everyone looked clean cut like what you would see at a pop show.

But hell like Jason Newsted said when asked if Metallica sold out " Yeah we sell out, we sell out every seat of every venue we play. So we are doing something right." Not a direct quote but he said something very similar.

I also enjoy the sound tracks from Guild Wars for a variety of moods (idyllic to kick-butt).
]

I love the Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 soundtracks. The music from Deus Ex HR is also amazing.

Prime example of the ME3 soundtrack as well as one of the coolest scenes in gaming here where the fleets arrive to try and retake Earth.

[video="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6qVvbZC2Gs"][/video]

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Start listening to standard jazz such as Miles Davis and Stan Getz and you will never say that Jazz is the same.

CDdude55

Distinguished
I'm probably one of the few people here that is into Hip-Hop, Illmatic by Nas being a favorite of mine. Great if you enjoy deep internal rhymes and Jazz/Soul samples. I recommend reading the lyrics as you listen, especially for tracks like "One Love". I'd also throw in albums like '93 Till Infinity by Souls of Mischief and Moment of Truth by Gang Starr. Also if you don't want to hear any lyrics and wants some really great instrumental sounds, i'd definitly go with Entroducing... By DJ Shadow.

I actually have interests in other genres as well so:

With jazz, i say throw on some Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Dave Brubeck and you'll be set. Even if you aren't much of a jazz person i'm sure you'll find something you like from one of them. The Beatles are great obviously and i personally enjoy some good punk music as well such as the debut album of Against Me!. Reinventing Axl Rose.

Since this is a thread about mesmerizing music, I have an upcoming experience to share. America's favorite jam-band Phish will be doing 3 nights at MGM Grand in Vegas over Halloween weekend. There is a lot of lore surrounding their Halloween shows and in the past they have done an entire cover album. I am greatly anticipating seeing them for 2 of the nights. I hope to take some pictures of the insane lights and other happenings that I can share in this thread eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.