Shared folders on windows transfer files slowly

Joshontech

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
I have 4 Computers connected to a main server PC in my home. I use the server to store movies and other media so anyone can watch. When I transfer files from the other computers to the main server the file transfer is under 8 megabytes a second. I want to know if I am doing something wrong?

Solution
Network speeds depends on the performance of the slowest device in the chain.

Analyze all the parts (router, switch, etc). See what might be the weak sister.

Joshontech

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

Yes I have done that and no matter what PC's I transfer files between it does not break that 8 megabytes a second barrier.I have the server PC connected to the router via a Ethernet cable and even though it is an old 100 megabit a second pci card in the server PC it still should get a minimum of 12 megabytes a second. Even if you take off the 20% that windows sometimes takes off of your internet connection it still should be over 8 megabytes a second. I have a netgear n600 router so that should not be the bottleneck should it?

Joshontech

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

Yes the server PC I think has a 10/100 card for the ethernet. That being said even transferring between 2 pc's that have 300mbps still comes out to under 8 mbs

Joshontech

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

Also when you say switches what exactly do you mean because I don't have anything between my 2 pc's except for a router and the wifi and ethernet cards that connect to the pc's.

USAFRet

Titan

OK...talking to the router (10/100), that is pretty much what you will get.

As for the others - when you say "300Mbps", I'm assuming these are wireless? If so...far slower than that is completely normal.

USAFRet

Titan

A switch is another device, to allow more connections. If you don't have one, no problem.

I just mentioned that switch in there, because the PC on one end, and the router in the middle, and the target PC are all 10/100/1000. The switch also in there, is only 10/100. Which is the weak sister on the chain.

Joshontech

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

I still should be getting better than 8mbs though am I correct? I mean most of the time its far slower than 8 its either between 7 and 8 or between 2 and 4mbs when transferring a large file.

Basically what you are telling me is that the router is the problem? If so I just dont get that because it has gigabit ethernet and that means that the router has to support that speed?

USAFRet

Titan

Is one or more of the PS's wireless?
But also, everything in the chain can be suspect. Drive speed, file fragmentation, sharp cable bends....

Joshontech

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

Yes some of the pc's are wireless but even if I transfer a file between 2 wired pc's its still a maximum of 8mbs. I understand but I know all of the drives get over 8 and there are no cable bands and also I have tested the files transfer speed to a usb and i get 24mbs easy.

USAFRet

Titan

2 wired PC's, talking through a router, all 3 having 10/100/1000 connections on good quality cables should get better than that.
Why isn't it? I'm outta ideas from afar.

Joshontech

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

Thanks for the quick responses man I just wanted to say that =D

I really don't know why no matter what 2 pc's I transfer the file between it only gets 8mbs max so I just don't know what is going on? I mean its not a huge problem but I have over 300gb of movies on my main pc that I would like to transfer to the server and 8mbs will take forever!

USAFRet

Titan

That's what running overnight is for..:)

Joshontech

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

Your totally right except when I download some tv shows offline and wanna watch them on my roku and I only have a plex server on my server pc...

Joshontech

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

I just got a new development in my problem. I looked at the network connection between computers and the server is 100mbps while my main computer is 144mbps actual (it says its 300). When I transfer files from my main computer to the server I only get a maximum of 30mbps and when I transfer from my server back to my main pc I get about 50mbps. I still have yet to check the 2 wiered pc's actual speeds.

Joshontech

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

Yes I have found out what my problem is officially now. it is the fact that all my wiered connections are only 100mbps and my wifi card can only do 30mbps upload and 50mbps download max. My solution is basically get a gigabit ethernet card for my server buy another ethernte cord for my main pc and vala I have between 100 and 125 mbs transfer!

Thanks for your help I wouldnt have thought about checking this stuff if it werent for you!

btw I found out that even with a ethernet connection at 100mbps and both networks being used 99% still yeilded a 5% to 10% overhead in transfer speed!