[SOLVED] Shared Memory

jacob.jolliff23

Honorable
Nov 4, 2017
So I am having issues trying to find out how to change how much system memory is shared with the gpu. I have a MSI B450 Tomahawk (and I just flash the bios trying to figure this out) , 32gb of ram (16 of which is be shared with the gpu), RTX 2080 super, Ryzen 5 3600x.

Shared video memory in this context means is if the video card runs out of VRAM, then video card may start using space in RAM. This is similar to when if the computer runs out of RAM, it starts shoving things onto the page file in the storage drive. It's just that in this case, instead of VRAM going to the storage drive, it goes to the next fastest thing. The 16GB is just the limit that the video card is allowed to do this before the system declares there's not enough memory for the video card to do anything.

This doesn't mean that the video card has 16GB of system memory guaranteed for itself. It just means that it can use that much if it has to.

Colif

Win 11 Master
in case it needs it?

My rtx 2070 Super has 8gb onboard, and shares 16gb for a total of 24gb.

The GPU won't ever likely actually use any of that share, its only there if needed. It shouldn't use it normally.

I can't find anything that says exactly how it decides to share 16gb, it appears it just takes half the ram as the shared amount. If you had 64gb of ram., it would share 32gb. But its unlikely to ever use it all.

Last edited:

jacob.jolliff23

Honorable
Nov 4, 2017
did you update chipset drivers at same time as bios? - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

ram isn't likely to be cause, I don't play VR so not sure how much VRAM you need for it, 2080 Super should be enough for it, and hard to get an upgrade right now.

what type of lag? could be internet drivers or GPU drivers maybe?
are you running game off hdd or ssd?
No I haven't updated the chipset drivers but i have updated the bios